Wonder by R. J. Palacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by R. J. Palacio MAG

April 23, 2014
By Amandaa_126 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Amandaa_126 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Wonder truly lives up to its title. Tears of both sadness and joy spilled down my face as I read and wondered what would happen next in this extravagantly written book. It is a book that needs to be thoroughly enjoyed by all, and if you do not have a copy, I strongly suggest you get one. Wonder is a good recommendation for anyone looking for a story with lots of life lessons.

“I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.” This is how home-schooled fifth-grader Auggie Pullman describes himself. Auggie was born with a facial deformity, which makes people scared of him and consequently causes them to treat him rudely. Even though his dad thinks sending Auggie to public school would be like “sending a lamb to slaughter,” Auggie decides to try it out anyway. This book tells the ups and downs of his school experience.

One reason I think R. J. Palacio is an exceptional author is the messages and lessons she includes. “Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.” She hooked me with this quote that encouraged me to read more. The most important thing she wants to teach us is not to judge people by what they look like. She also tries to tell us that people can change. A mean person can become nice. Throughout the book, some of the rudest people learn what a good friend is.

Palacio does a really good job establishing the characters. She has a clear protagonist and antagonist. Each has a different, unique personality that keeps you reading. She has a way of making things happen within the story that doesn't even seem possible.

Wonder happens to be one of those books that you start in the morning and finish that night. Like a vacuum, it will suck you in, and you will love this heart-wrenching, wonderful story from beginning to end. Wonder has changed my life in many significant ways, and it has the power to change yours too. Do yourself a favor and read it.