Wonder by R. J. Palacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by R. J. Palacio MAG

By Amandaa_126 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Amandaa_126 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Wonder truly lives up to its title. Tears of both sadness and joy spilled down my face as I read and wondered what would happen next in this extravagantly written book. It is a book that needs to be thoroughly enjoyed by all, and if you do not have a copy, I strongly suggest you get one. Wonder is a good recommendation for anyone looking for a story with lots of life lessons.

“I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.” This is how home-schooled fifth-grader Auggie Pullman describes himself. Auggie was born with a facial deformity, which makes people scared of him and consequently causes them to treat him rudely. Even though his dad thinks sending Auggie to public school would be like “sending a lamb to slaughter,” Auggie decides to try it out anyway. This book tells the ups and downs of his school experience.

One reason I think R. J. Palacio is an exceptional author is the messages and lessons she includes. “Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.” She hooked me with this quote that encouraged me to read more. The most important thing she wants to teach us is not to judge people by what they look like. She also tries to tell us that people can change. A mean person can become nice. Throughout the book, some of the rudest people learn what a good friend is.

Palacio does a really good job establishing the characters. She has a clear protagonist and antagonist. Each has a different, unique personality that keeps you reading. She has a way of making things happen within the story that doesn't even seem possible.

Wonder happens to be one of those books that you start in the morning and finish that night. Like a vacuum, it will suck you in, and you will love this heart-wrenching, wonderful story from beginning to end. Wonder has changed my life in many significant ways, and it has the power to change yours too. Do yourself a favor and read it.

Pipalot said...
on Sep. 11 2015 at 12:34 pm
Pipalot, South Charleston, West Virginia
I love the book "Wonder". Its very emotional. I kept reading and reading and reading it, I was just so curious about the story. If you like books that are emotional, you should try this book. The book is about Auggie, a kid who is special. He face many problems. I hope you like this like I did!

Llama said...
on Dec. 16 2014 at 10:47 am
Wonder by Rj Palacio is about a boy who does not look normal. In the book it is almost a love story between beauty and the beast. You have the pretty girl who hangs out with the poplars, but he is almost opposite. He is the new kid and with as hard as it is being new, having a messed up face doesn’t make it any better.  In my point of view I think she tried to make the book very realistic, and she succeeded. She tried to make the book relatable for young readers. I was able to connect to the book very easily which made me enjoy it even more. “Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with the one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” This quote would describe the book perfectly. It is trying to say that your heart can see more than your eyes can see. Summer had that for August. She didn’t care what he looked like; she was friends with him for what was on the inside. It is an overall WONDER-ful book and can be read and enjoyed at any age. The love story in the book is great and really makes you wonder about today’s society, how people see only by their eyes and not by their heart.