Ghetto Cowboy by G.Neri | Teen Ink

Ghetto Cowboy by G.Neri

April 11, 2014
By Anonymous

Ghetto Cowboy is about a boy and his name is Cole. He grew up with his mom in a bad part of town. His mom can’t stand his behavior. So one day his mom tells him to get in the car and she doesn’t tell him where they're going. She talks to him about his behavior and she can’t take care of him any more. When they’re driving he sees a sign that says Welcome to Philadelphia.



Cole gets very confused because he doesn’t know where they’re going. His mom tells him that I’m taking you to live with your dad, Cole has never meet his dad before and he lives in a very bad part of town. When they pull up to this apartment his Cole’s mom told him to stay here while she goes and gets his dad. When he opens the door she calls Cole over to meet his dad for the first time. Cole was very scared to meet his dad because he didn’t have any idea that this would happen.



Cole and his dad didn’t really talk that much. Cole really missed his mom, and he wanted to go back home with her. But then Cole got involved with a group of African-American cowboys who rescue horses and use them to steer youths away from drugs and gangs. One day the city decided to close the stables down but Cole wanted to keep the horses, so he did what he had to do. Cole and his friends took the horse and ran away with it.



My opinion on this book is I really, really liked it. The reason why I like this book is because he is standing up for himself and he tries to get young kids away from drugs and alcohol. I loved how they had lots of detail in the book and how they made the story really realistic. I Would recommend this book for 12 and up. I would recommend this book for those ages because they could probably have a similar problem in their lives. I would give this book 9 stars. It makes a lot of sense and has lots of good detail and good storyline. I like all of the plots and twists in the story. It has very surprising points in the book. I love books that do that. I have one more opinion-this book has maybe too much detail at some parts, but otherwise it makes a great book and to some kids it can be relatable.

Overall this book has good meaning. It tells you about a young boy’s life and how he gets through living with his dad, and how he gets to find a horse. I think you should read this book because it’s a really good.


The author's comments:
I though The title was interesting so I picked the book up and I started reading, it's a really good book.