Riding the Flume by Patricia Curtis Pfitsh | Teen Ink

Riding the Flume by Patricia Curtis Pfitsh

November 25, 2008
By Anonymous

“Don't tell anyone -- the only safety is in secrecy.” Secrecy is a large part of your life when your sister is dead, leaving no trace of where her diary was, and where all of her adventures took her. It all starts when Francie finds a note in a tree trunk from her sister, Carrie. Carrie died six years ago, but what does the note mean?

In Riding the Flume, Francie is desperate to find out the secret behind the note. She does everything she can to look into the past, even if it costs her. Meanwhile, the logging companies are cutting down every sequoia tree they can find. One tree in particular, they are very intent on cutting down. This tree is said to be the largest thing on earth, every man rises up to the challenge. However, Francie knows that Carrie used to come to this tree, it's the only thing left of her. They can't possibly cut it down... Or can they?

The only way to save the tree is to ride the flume. Only a couple people have ridden the flume before. One ended up in the hospital, the other didn't survive. Francie is a girl, too, what should everyone else think of her if she even survives. Should she do it?

Riding the Flume is interesting, fascinating, absorbing, exciting, engaging… let's just say it's very intriguing. I very much enjoyed this book. Anyone who's a fan of mysteries should be able to read Riding the Flume and never put it down. The book takes place in California back in the older days, when women were thought of differently than men. This makes the book ever more interesting and gives it a great push. It's a magnificent book.