Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jodi Picoult's newest novel, Change of Heart, has topped both the New York Times hardcover and paperback best-seller lists for weeks, and received rave reviews. Change of Heart is being dubbed one of Picoult's best books yet, but I disagree.

While I am a die-hard fan, I feel that Change of Heart is ­extremely dragged out. Like most of her novels, it is narrated by a number of characters, each personally connecting with the reader in a way that forces you to empathize.

Eleven years earlier, Shay Bourne murdered June Nealon's husband and daughter and is sentenced to death. Fast-forward to the present, and June's other daughter is growing up with severe heart problems. The story focuses on Shay's decision to donate his heart to June's daughter ­after he's put to death. The only problem: lethal injection stops the heart.

Change of Heart follows a series of events surrounding June and Shay that ­focus on ­religion and the law. While the plot is exciting and intense, 464 pages are far too many to tell this story. Picoult includes an enormous amount of detail, but unfortunately I feel this leaves the reader uninterested.

In conclusion, this book might be better for a first-time Picoult reader. The story is ­decent but follows the same route as all her other books: you think you have it all figured out but then there's a twist at the end. I give it two and a half out of five stars.

junedayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:30 am:
Although I find many of JP's topics thought - provoking, in general her books adhere to a strict formula that gets really boring after a while. (Troubled family, trial, lawyer finds love, etc.)  Change of Heart read like she'd barely put any effort into writing it and was much sloppier than most of her books. If she just stuck to the main topic instead of getting bogged down with mushy subplots, her books would be much better.

Sarz216This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm:
Thanks! I'm also a huge Jodi Picoult fan and I checked this book out from the library a while ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

CindyDIAZ said...
May 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm:
It's well known that cash can make people independent. But how to act if one has no cash? The one way only is to receive the credit loans or short term loan.

LetLoveIn... said...
Yess! i totally agree.

LetLoveIn... said...
I have to disagree. This was a very moving book. It certainly deserves more than a 2.5

minty-fresh said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm:
I totally agree! While Jodi's books are suspenseful and fun to read, I think she makes them much longer than they actually have to be. Also, all of her books have basically the same plot--Once you've read one of her books, it's like you've read them all.

ElkieLionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm:
That actually made me want to read the book ... :0!!

ayesha20This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 8, 2011 at 3:58 am:
I couldn't disagree more. The book was love. You need to work on your article but I really liked the last few lines of your article.

VallyWally said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm:
This is an amazing book. It gets readers to thinking... you can really have a change pf heart. And people do get secon chances. I reccomend it

FlashlevitationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 1:35 am:
i've heard that this is a great book. i also think your review of the book could use a little work

kelsee727 said...
I've read House Rules, so I was going to give this book a shot, but I don't know now. Is it worth giving a shot?

Hippiealien replied...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm :
this book was better then this review makes it out to be..really good,interesting and the twist will leave u just like this ----> :O

Hannah1014 said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm:
I disagree it was my favorite book!!

Hannah1014 replied...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm :
The Pact was better though

Aspiringauhor said...
I disagree with you. I really liked this book. I think it's just that you need to be a really patient person so that you can get to the good parts. Also, I don't think that this would be a good book for a first time Jodi Picoult reader. I don't think that because, as you said, it's long (and sometimes tedious, I agree). If that's what they read the first time, they might think all of her books are long and tedious. Most of them are long, but not all of them are tedious! :) When did this book com... (more »)

through_my_eyes said...
haha, agreed. I honestly thought her best book was "My Sisters Keeper." Then again it was the first book of hers i read, which sort of made an impression. I agree with what you have to say though, shes an exceptionally good story teller.  

Aspiringauhor replied...
Jan. 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm :
Personally, I think her worst book was My Sister's Keeper. I really liked House Rules.

Mnyawn replied...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm :
"House Rules" was exceptional!  :)  Loved it.

through_my_eyes said...
I agree with your opinion. It feels as though shes trying out the same thought in different ways and in different scenarios. The ends of the books are good, but considering the fact you know whats going to happen in the beginning why not just flip to the end to see whats going on? After all, you've read the story a gazillion other times in a different format. Different format, but same story. Shes a very talented writer, but I wish she wrote a book that didn't heavily rely on her past books. 

Scatty2693This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 11:54 am :
This book is great but definitely not J. Picoult's best. She may have tugged the heart strings a fair many times in the book with an emotional character like Shay, but once one gets used to her style; this doesn't leave a lasting impression. This year was a commercial success for Picoult but I dont agree about it being her best year in the literary sense