The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley | Teen Ink

The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley

Suspense, mystery, betrayal, and magic. For all Disney, Star Wars, or Shrek fans, you will not be able to put down this book. In a series of 6 books and to be a 7th, readers will just keep craving more. I almost couldn't sit still waiting to get to the library for the next book.
Sabrina and Daphne are sisters who have just recently been orphaned for an indiscribable reason. After being out on a date, the girls' parents never came home, and all that was left as a clue was a mark on the car: a handprint of bright red paint. After this, the girls have no immediate relatives so Sabrina and Daphne are tossed around between foster caretakers. All were wretched, unloving people so they ended up escaping many homes. When their long lost grandmother is found, they are sent to live with her in a small town in New York called Ferryport Landing.
It turns out that Ferryport Landing is a town full of fairytale creatures, called Everafters, as well as mortals. Granny Relda, who, at first, Sabrina does not believe is related to her, explains that she and the girls are descendants of the famous Brothers Grimm, and that the stories they wrote, were not fiction. They were nonfiction recordings of real people and things. All of those fairytale creatures were going to be prosocuted in Germany, so they were shipped to America and settled in Ferryport Landing. Many everafters wanted to leave and be free but the Brothers Grimm couldn't let them go, so as not to expose their secrets. Wilhelm Grimm and a witch named Baba Yaga cast a spell on the town so that no everafter could leave. All fairytale creatures would be trapped in the town until the last Grimm died.
She also tells about how the family's job is to help all the everafters and solve their problems. The whole series is about the family and how they solve mysteries for the citizens. Through the first few books, Sabrina thinks it's stupid to do this. This twelve year old would rather find her parents so they could be a family again. Daphne, on the other hand, is living in a dream world. But what seven year old wouldn't? She lives in the same town as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, the Little Mermaid, and many magical other things.
Soon enough, though, the Sisters Grimm learn that everything is NOT what they expect. The red handprint on their parents car the night they disappeared was what they soon found out to be the mark of the Scarlet Hand. The Scarlet Hand was an allegiance of rebellion everafters. This clan was aiming for nothing much less of World Domination. At first, Sabrina doesn't trust any everafters. But she and Daphne learn to pick out who is a 'bad guy' and a 'good guy.'
Many friends betray, many alliances form, and a LOT of magic is in the air. For anyone who loves a good mystery OR fairytale, The Sisters Grimm is a series you cannot skip. The only thing I don't like about these books is that they all end with "To Be Continued..." Everything is not what it seems!

yelloboe said...
on Nov. 7 2008 at 2:52 am
Great Hannah! ur really into all of these sisters grimm series BUT THATS GOOD!

allie96 said...
on Nov. 7 2008 at 2:10 am
this was soooo good congrats hannah!!!!

on Nov. 6 2008 at 9:55 pm
WOW HANNAH!! U r fantastic at writing reviews!