Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton | Teen Ink

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

By Kaayygee BRONZE, Lemon Grove, California
Kaayygee BRONZE, Lemon Grove, California

"everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid "-Albert Einstein

Ethan Frome married Zeena because she took care of his mom and looked very healthy.Ethan also married Zeena because he felt lonely after his mom passed.Years later Zeena became sick and Ethan had to take care of her.Ethan stayed there seeing her suffer which made him suffer from all the medications he bought,and all the complains he heard from Zeena daily.Zeena later hired a girl to do chores around because she became too weak to do them,she got her cousin Mattie whose father died and needed a place to stay.

Ethan fell in love with Mattie but Zeena was always in the way.Zeena later needed a new girl to do the chores and sent Mattie away.Ethan had to drop her off at the train station.Ethan and Mattie were so in love that they wanted to escape and live together.There was one problem,Ethan couldn't .Ethan felt a need to stay and take care of Zeena and the farm even though he hated it.

Ethan and Mattie had a sled accident the day Ethan had to take Mattie to the train satation.So at the end he had two ladies suffering that had him suffering as well.Ethan not only head one lady whinning and needing medicications but two.Ethan is considered a tragig figure who suffers to statisfy others.Ethan only wanted to escape and be happy instead of feelig stuck but ended up getting double the wosre.