The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

January 12, 2014
By DomusVocis SILVER, Green Bay, Wisconsin
DomusVocis SILVER, Green Bay, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
'Ideas are bulletproof' ~ V for Vendetta


I'm just gonna say it ahead of time: I hate the Twilight Saga. I despise every single thing in this. The plot, the pacing, the characters, the writing, all of it! Comprised of the books 'Twilight', 'New Moon', 'Eclipse', and 'Breaking Dawn', this book series has gained a vast cult following mostly for being one of the worst book series of all time. For me, I really hate all four of these books.


We follow an 'oh-so-tortured' teenage girl named Bella Swan, who moves in with his dad in the small town of Forks. While there, she falls in love with Edward Cullen, a century old vampire who lives with a family of vampires. And in these four novels, we watch as Bella must choose between Edward, and another boy she knows named Jacob Black, who happens to be a werewolf.


How do I start with this?


I have four main problems with this series, the first being that in this, vampires sparkle in the sun instead of burning. And that would be a pity because I'd kill to imagine Edward becoming KFV, Kentucky Fried Vampire. Am I right?


Speaking of which, my second problem is the characters, because they are just so awful. This series has the most boring, selfish, stupid, emo, stereotypical, and cliched characters of all time. Bella is a girl that's selfish and male dependent, and Edward is even more bland than her. Jacob was at first interesting, but that all gets ruined when he starts to fall for Bella. The only people I found interesting were ironically some of the side characters, most of them being the Cullen family. But even they don't get that much dialogue.


Third, Edward and Bella have a chemistry that even Disney princesses would laugh at. Edward does so much for Bella while she is a huge damsel in distress. She puts herself in peril just to get his attention. I can only think of one moment where she did anything, and that was in Eclipse where she cut herself to distract another vampire, and that's it.


And lastly, I would give Stephenie Meyer credit if all of these elements were intentional, like their selfishness was their personalities. I would actually tolerate the Twilight Saga if Bella and Edward were meant to be selfish and stupid. But no, it's not.


What's my opinion in this. It's worth checking out. The Twilight Saga is one of those books series you have to read to believe. It's enjoyably dumb and stupid. You can find a lot to make fun of in this, and so many people have. If you like books that are so bad, they're good, then this is worth a read. But if not, then this is a definite skip.


The author's comments:
"The movie is just, awful, but it has some of the worst CGI you'll ever see in your life."