The Fault in Our Stars by John Green This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

There are books in life that grasp your heart and warm your soul. There are books with words that melt on your tongue and linger in your mind. There are books with such raw emotion, you can feel it seeping out of the pages. There are books with characters so alive they practically leap out of the chapter.

And then there’s “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green.

The moment I opened the cover, Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters did not leap out of the pages; they raised their hands and earnestly beckoned me forward. They invited me into their lives, so, naturally, I invited them into my heart. Under normal circumstances, I would classify these characters as “lovable.” However, puppies are lovable. Babies are lovable.

The word just does not do Hazel or Augustus justice.

They are human, which is possibly the biggest compliment I could give. For me to consider a character as human, they have to be more than words on a page. Not adjectives and verbs and dialogue, but skin and bones and hair. When I picture Hazel and Augustus in my mind, they do not appear as a combination of the twenty-six letters in the English language; they encompass my mind as incredible, powerful individuals. They make mistakes and they are by no means perfect. They are, amazingly, human.

But to concoct the perfect cake of a novel, characters are just the flour. Maybe the eggs, too.

And then comes the sugar: the story.

The phrase “Cancer Story” is almost synonymous with sadness. At best, these stories can be inspirational, but with hardships and obstacles dominating the novel. The term “cancer” does not just describe these books; it overtakes them completely.

The Fault in Our Stars is the perfect “Non-Cancer Cancer Story.” Confusing, yes? Have no fear! In fact, never have fear when you’re reading this Non-Cancer Cancer Story, because the cancer involved here is really just a detail, just a “side effect,” in an incredible work of art. John Green twists this Non-Cancer Cancer Story into a comedic romance that is impossible not to love.

Powerful. Hilarious. Strong. Heart-warming. Only a few words out of many that I would use to describe John Green’s wonderful creation.

There are books that nudge themselves into your heart and curl up there for your remainder of your days.

There are books that change your life.

“The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green is not one of those books.

It is so, so much more.

JesusandHisLawyers said...
today at 12:51 am:
I hated this book. Hated it. After reading it and puttering around the web, I was extremely surprised to find that many people considered it "heart-breaking", "life-changing", or "fantastic" because for me, it was none of those things. I don't really have to time or patience to write a full critique of this book (and frankly I don't think it deserves it) because all of it's issues can be summed up in three sentences:

1.... (more »)

LanimalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 10:40 pm :
That's an interesting opinion, and one I've never heard! But I respect it; it's always good to hear everyone's opinion!
I will say this: I, simply, disagree. I do actually agree to some of your comments (in a less hateful way, of course), but for me, and for millions of others, this book offered a refreshing escape from the horror of humanity; I am disgusted with the current selfishness of the human race, and unrealistic characters and flowery pros raised my hopes that mayb... (more »)

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 14 at 8:10 pm:
The Fault in Our Stars is absolutely my favorite book, and John Green is simply a unique writer with immense voice. Your review showcased exactly that, thank you for writing it. I hope others can enjoy this book as much as I have, and as much as you :)

Jan. 14 at 8:12 pm :
It's definitely my favorite book as well, clearly :) John Green is my favorite because his writing is always so relatable! Anyways, thank you so much for your kind words!! :) 

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 15 at 5:34 pm :
No problem! You really should write more reviews; you're amazing at them! :)

marei2331This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 14 at 7:48 pm:
This is one of my favorite books, and I have to say that you did it justice in this review!! well done :)  

Jan. 14 at 8:03 pm :
Thank you so much! :)

AmarUlHaque said...
Jan. 14 at 5:15 am:
Its my fav too :)

Jan. 14 at 3:53 pm :
Sweet, you have good taste!

ThePenmanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 13 at 8:45 pm:
You said it all.

Jan. 13 at 9:32 pm :
Thank you! :)