The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When my mom gave me The House of the Scorpion, I thought I would never read it. The cover was red and black and had a large, creepy scorpion on it. My first thought was this was some horror story with bugs crawling all over. I finally gave in and began reading it. Immediately I was sucked in; The House of the Scorpion is not about actual scorpions, but a family whose last name is Alacrán, which means scorpion.

This novel is set in a futur­istic world of Mexico and the Southern United States. The main character is Matteo Alacrán, the clone of a powerful drug lord. This book is about his journey as a clone with everyone looking down
on him. When he finds out the horrible secret of why he was ­created, he realizes he must ­escape. The House of the Scorpion is not just thrilling but thought-­provoking.

It is very easy to connect with the characters because the author, Nancy Farmer, writes so beautifully. She paints pictures with words; I could see everything as it happened. Because I was so engrossed in this world, it was hard to put it down. When I finished, I wanted to read it again and again.

The cover of The House of the Scorpion doesn't bother me anymore – probably because I love the story behind it. I finally learned with this book the age-old rule: “Don't judge a book by its cover.” If anyone is looking for a fascinating read, I highly recommend The House of the Scorpion.

NikkiNak111 said...
Yes this book is beautifully written and tells a great story. Nancy Farmers is one of the best authors of our generation. I also reccomend another book of hers it's called "the Sea of Trolls" it's about vikings and I think anyone that enjoys house of the Scorpion will enjoy this book.

StormyJ said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:02 am
One of the best books in the WORLD! I read it in sixth grade during BOB (Battle of the Books) it was awesome! I loved it!!! LOL!!! Nice Review Too!!!!

~*el-oh-vee-ee*~ said...
ummm... is this book scary? mysterious? because i like scary things. i like scifi and vampires and aliens. i like putting a picture in my mind that wouldn't happen on earth.

Anne K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's kind of mysterious, and good for sci-fi people. You'll love it!

vballluver said...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:55 am
I read that book for a project in 7th grade. It was one of my favorite books! I read ahead :) Btw luv the summary u wrote.

kkcarebear said...
this book was amazing i had to read it for a schoo lproject and wasnt excited at all....once i started reading it i was amazed i didnt want it to end!!

Jessica L. said...
This is a really good book! i read it I think.... 2 years ago. I couldnt put it down!

kiwi12 said...
I want to read it now!

ajparker replied...
Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:22 am
I suggest you to wattpad .com because that is a place you can read books online and someone must have put it up there!

Alannah said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:22 am
WOW! i just read this book and it is AMAZINGGGGG!!! when i saw i thought it would be long and boreing, but it was awsome! GREAT READ!!!

Dark N Twisty said...
May 27, 2009 at 12:22 am
I only liked the ending, because I'm a scary and damaged person.

Candy said...
I remember reading this in 6th grade! (: I don't normally enjoy sci-fi books like this, but I think it was a good read!

---

Great review!

vic said...
I LOVE THIS BOOK

cuz i never read it...

jojo said...
What is the Sound He hears in the Bush?

Johny123 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:33 am
I LOVE this book.. >.<

I couldn't put it down

Luvzbooks said...
WOW! Just like you, i saw this and said, eh this book is just a weird horror book but a couple of days ago i picked it up and couldn't put it down. This is a MUST READ book because this book is GREAT!

Milanswimmer911 said...
Jan. 13, 2009 at 1:44 am
I love this book we have to read it in Advisory and i LOVE it!

simmm said...
Nov. 21, 2008 at 2:58 am
I remember buying this book from a book fair in middle school. I loved it! It's not your usually kid's book in the end, but it still will always be one of my past-time favorites.

pleasant said...
Your book review it so true. I loved, loved this book. I wish i could write like you, its spellbinding, magical.

luan said...
very nice review i give it a 5 star, im hoping to read this book some time in the future