The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When my mom gave me The House of the Scorpion, I thought I would never read it. The cover was red and black and had a large, creepy scorpion on it. My first thought was this was some horror story with bugs crawling all over. I finally gave in and began reading it. Immediately I was sucked in; The House of the Scorpion is not about actual scorpions, but a family whose last name is Alacrán, which means scorpion.

This novel is set in a futur­istic world of Mexico and the Southern United States. The main character is Matteo Alacrán, the clone of a powerful drug lord. This book is about his journey as a clone with everyone looking down
on him. When he finds out the horrible secret of why he was ­created, he realizes he must ­escape. The House of the Scorpion is not just thrilling but thought-­provoking.

It is very easy to connect with the characters because the author, Nancy Farmer, writes so beautifully. She paints pictures with words; I could see everything as it happened. Because I was so engrossed in this world, it was hard to put it down. When I finished, I wanted to read it again and again.

The cover of The House of the Scorpion doesn't bother me anymore – probably because I love the story behind it. I finally learned with this book the age-old rule: “Don't judge a book by its cover.” If anyone is looking for a fascinating read, I highly recommend The House of the Scorpion.

NikkiNak111 said...
Yes this book is beautifully written and tells a great story. Nancy Farmers is one of the best authors of our generation. I also reccomend another book of hers it's called "the Sea of Trolls" it's about vikings and I think anyone that enjoys house of the Scorpion will enjoy this book.

StormyJ said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:02 am:
One of the best books in the WORLD! I read it in sixth grade during BOB (Battle of the Books) it was awesome! I loved it!!! LOL!!! Nice Review Too!!!!

~*el-oh-vee-ee*~ said...
ummm... is this book scary? mysterious? because i like scary things. i like scifi and vampires and aliens. i like putting a picture in my mind that wouldn't happen on earth.

Anne K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 4:08 pm :
It's kind of mysterious, and good for sci-fi people. You'll love it!

vballluver said...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:55 am:
I read that book for a project in 7th grade. It was one of my favorite books! I read ahead :) Btw luv the summary u wrote.

kkcarebear said...
this book was amazing i had to read it for a schoo lproject and wasnt excited at all....once i started reading it i was amazed i didnt want it to end!!

Jessica L. said...
This is a really good book! i read it I think.... 2 years ago. I couldnt put it down!

kiwi12 said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 8:23 pm:
I want to read it now!

ajparker replied...
Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:22 am :
I suggest you to wattpad .com because that is a place you can read books online and someone must have put it up there!

Alannah said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:22 am:
WOW! i just read this book and it is AMAZINGGGGG!!! when i saw i thought it would be long and boreing, but it was awsome! GREAT READ!!!

Dark N Twisty said...
May 27, 2009 at 12:22 am:
I only liked the ending, because I'm a scary and damaged person.

Candy said...
I remember reading this in 6th grade! (: I don't normally enjoy sci-fi books like this, but I think it was a good read!

---

Great review!

vic said...
Mar. 19, 2009 at 1:16 pm:
I LOVE THIS BOOK

cuz i never read it...

jojo said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 7:58 pm:
What is the Sound He hears in the Bush?

Johny123 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:33 am:
I LOVE this book.. >.<

I couldn't put it down

Luvzbooks said...
WOW! Just like you, i saw this and said, eh this book is just a weird horror book but a couple of days ago i picked it up and couldn't put it down. This is a MUST READ book because this book is GREAT!

Milanswimmer911 said...
Jan. 13, 2009 at 1:44 am:
I love this book we have to read it in Advisory and i LOVE it!

simmm said...
Nov. 21, 2008 at 2:58 am:
I remember buying this book from a book fair in middle school. I loved it! It's not your usually kid's book in the end, but it still will always be one of my past-time favorites.

pleasant said...
Your book review it so true. I loved, loved this book. I wish i could write like you, its spellbinding, magical.

luan said...
very nice review i give it a 5 star, im hoping to read this book some time in the future