1984 by George Orwell This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Big Brother is watching you.

These are the words that haunt Winston Smith from every building in Airstrip One. It’s the year 1984, although the Party might’ve made that up, too. Either way, the world has been segregated into three sections: Eurasia, Eastasia, and Oceania. These three superpowers are constantly fighting each other, each trying to overthrow the other and take control of the world. The government—a.k.a. the Party—has brainwashed everyone in their realm so that they are completely devoted to Big Brother, the head of the Party.

But not Winston.

Winston is a rebel.

In fact, many people in Airstrip One are in-the-closet rebels, staying quiet so as to prevent themselves from getting caught. Winston Smith, however, has it all figured out. By keeping out of the vision line of the telescreens that broadcast his life to the Party at all hours, Winston believes he is safe.

Winston has allies.

Julia, a girl working in the same building as Winston, is also a rebel. She and Winston become very close friends…too close. Also in the same building is a man named O’Brien. Though they’ve never spoken before, Winston knows O’Brien is just like him. As the weeks go by, Julia, Winston and O’Brien get to know and trust each other. Like many before them, they form a bond of safety between them.

But they should know it never works.

Big Brother sees all.

Big Brother is watching you.