Angels and Demons by Dan Brown | Teen Ink

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown MAG

October 10, 2013
By Cade_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Cade_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The legend of an ancient order was always assumed to be a myth … until now. In the thrilling mystery novel Angels and Demons, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon has been sent on a mission to find and disarm a highly explosive substance in one of the world's most treasured cities. This book is the prequel to The Da Vinci Code, and the story that starts it all will have you intrigued by the first chapter.

Angels and Demons is fiction, but the way Dan Brown incorporates actual objects, places, and events makes his books feel real. His complex language, beautiful descriptions, and twisting plot are all reasons this wonderful book has been praised by many and is a New York Times bestseller. Brown's style can be a little difficult to understand, but the reader will get used to it.

Never before have I so clearly visualized the setting of any book. Brown paints a vivid picture of Vatican City, Rome, in the reader's mind: “Rome from the air is a labyrinth – an indecipherable maze of ancient roadways winding around buildings, fountains, and crumbling ruins.” Another reason that Angels and Demons is a great story: multiple things happen at the same time. Brown tells the story of each character, protagonist or antagonist.

A great aspect of the book is the character development. In the beginning, Robert Langdon is just a name, an idea that, as the story develops, evolves into someone you care about. Brown is the only author who makes me feel this way.

This story is technically a thriller/mystery, but there is so much more to it. Romance, drama, adventure – there's something for everyone. The labyrinthine, epic story of Angels and Demons will take the reader on a journey through a world filled with mystery, suspense, and chaos.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 1 comment.


Groocho SILVER said...
on Oct. 15 2013 at 4:05 pm
Groocho SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I really liked your word choice and style. It struck me as a bit strange (in a good way) that you were describing one writer's style as exceptional, while you were forming many interesting phrases yourself.
Although there are just a few awkward phrases here and there, I felt that this review was wonderfully written and uniquely crafted.