Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan | Teen Ink

Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

By AnonymousWriter2013 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
AnonymousWriter2013 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -Kurt Cobain

Rating: ****

The book The Ruins of Gorlan was written by John Flanagan. He has also written the other eleven books in the Ranger’s Apprentice series. John Flanagan and his wife live in Manly, Australia with his their son. Flanagan has two grown daughters. This book was originally written for his son Michael.

Ruins of Gorlan is a fictional, young adult book that takes place in medieval times in the Kingdom of Aralven. The main characters are Will, and Halt. Will is a Ranger’s apprentice, and Halt is his master. Will is not a very athletic or big guy. He is often picked on by his peers.

Will had been longing to train in battle school and become a knight for as long as he could remember. Sadly, no school would take him. Finally he gets chosen. He was picked for Ranger school.

At first, Will did not want to be a Ranger. Eventually he enjoys learning from Halt, t=but there is one problem. The kingdom is in danger from the Kalkara. Together Will and Halt must defeat the Kalkara, or loose the Kingdom.

The Ruins of Gorlan is a great, entertaining novel. It is filled with action, relatable characters, and an interesting setting. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to read an interesting, fun, action-packed novel. I really enjoyed this book, and I think you will too.