The Ku Klux Klan | Teen Ink

The Ku Klux Klan

By Dylan Jones BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Dylan Jones BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

For a summer reading assignment I chose to read a novel by Susan Campbell Bartoletti titled They Called Themselves the K.K.K: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group, which is a non-fiction story about the Ku Klux Klan. It describes the people who started the group, their fellow clansmen, their victims, and the politics involved both within the organization, and across the entire nation. I chose the book and expected it to be completely focused on the racial inequality of the era and I have never been happier to be wrong. It was a riveting novel that went far beyond my expectations.  The first topic in the story is the defeat of the Confederate Army and how the slaves were freed and the boiling resent white plantation owners felt as their land and slaves were stripped from them. Over the next few days six men would often get together in various places and gripe about their overall gloomy lives. One afternoon, John Lester said to his friends, “Boys, let us get up a club or society.” Shortly after the group had created a name and vows applicants needed to repeat to be accepted into the club that involved secrecy and loyalty. They also devised rituals like handshakes and passwords, and eventually assigned themselves (and later their inferiors) special titles. The main point of the group was simply to play practical tricks on themselves and others while wearing ridiculous costumes. That tradition continued until someone realized how superstitious the freedmen were and that they could be frightened by the simple costumes. Thus, the Ku Klux Klan was formed.  I could not put down the book and it took me a grand total of two days to read all one hundred and fifty pages. Each and every turned page introduced a new and intriguing event or character. I learned of dozens of different raids that took place over years that stretch almost into the modern era. Also, the politics and the politicians it took to stop the Klan that involves Congress and President Grant passing the Civil Rights Act (also nicknamed the Ku Klux Klan Act). This novel went into depth on every aspect of the Ku Klux Klan and to anybody who has the slightest interest in learning more about them; this book has to be the first place you visit.