The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

By maddi_maddss BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
maddi_maddss BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Khaled Hosseini’s excellent novel, The Kite Runner, is a story about redemption after betrayal and an unlikely friendship between two boys that would not be considered politically correct. The novel consists of the perfect amount of violence, suspense, and happiness to keep you entertained the whole time you’re reading it. Throughout the novel, you never know what to expect. There are a lot of surprises. But overall, it was an amazing book. It was easily one of the best fictional stories I’ve ever read because of how real it sounded. Khaled Hosseini’s is an amazing author, he inspired me, moved me, opened my eyes, made me laugh and cry, and surprised me all within his first novel. I wouldn’t hesitate to read another one of his novels or stories. I would recommend The Kite Runner to anyone interested in learning about other cultures, I learned a lot about Afghanistan just from reading this story. I would also recommend it to anyone who loves a good book, and wouldn’t be too traumatized by violence. There are some very inhumane things that happen in the story that the average American teenager hopefully isn’t used to. In the novel I learned three valuable lessons, appreciate what you have before it’s gone, don’t take anything for granted, and do whatever you feel is the right thing to do. There are many important lessons a person could walk away with after reading The Kite Runner, but I thought those three were the most important. Before reading the novel, I took many things for granted, such as, food on the table, a roof over my head, and a bed to sleep in at night. Sadly, many children throughout the world don’t have those three simple things. It also made me appreciate our military, and law enforcement officers so much more than I did before. I couldn’t imagine leaving in a place where you have to worry about getting shot everywhere you go, bombs being dropped on your homes, or getting beaten for raising your voice a little too loud. The novel also inspired me to be a better person and be more of an active participant in my community and church. It also taught me to respect my parents more, and appreciate them more, because they could be gone in a blink of an eye. The Kite Runner was an eye opener in many different ways.