Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

Maddie265 said...
on Oct. 15 2020 at 9:00 am
Maddie265, Ewing, New Jersey
I like the way this review was written. I want to read the book now, it seems very interesting. I would love to hear what Alice goes through and her struggles. It would be a different perspective of life to read. I'll definitely be reading this sometime in the future.

qwertyuiopasdfghjk BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."
- Helen Keller

your review was beautifully written and I really want to read the book now

Let me start off; I read this book in a sitting, glued to it. Initially, it's a good read. The author is compelling, in ways I relate to. She's insecure, easily hurt. Even in her family, she feels inadequate.
I mean there's a couple of things that bothered me, but I didn't dwell on them. Mostly the narrator's use of the word "homo", in describing certain characters. The characters weren't good at all, but the homophobia is still there. You can chalk it up to the sixties/seventies era the book takes place in, but it doesn't make it less bothersome (in my opinion). However, it's not a large enough part in the story that you dwell on it.
No, the real problems I have with this book are those that lie in its message. Our author, a troubled soul, relapses on drugs a few times. She ends up in a terrible place, and lives in a world of pain and unreality. Yet, she comes back multiple times to a loving family. She finds strength in them- strength to live and succeed. Strength to go on in life.
She finds all of this, and it seems as though you're being left with a tale of redemption. No matter what obstacles you have in life, there is hope for you. If you find love in others, they will help you. The message seems to be that there's a silver lining to life, no matter your past.
Now, spoilers ahead.
She leaves the readers with a sense of hope about her. The narrator ends her last diary entry telling us that she won't buy another. That, while it helped her so much, she feels she's moved on. And that she has the strength to fight through whatever life gives her.
Then, in big bold print, the epilogue bluntly states that the author died three weeks after that last entry; either by her own hand on accident, or by another's. Either way, it was a DRUG overdose, and the OBVIOUS moral of the story is that drugs will ruin your life and there's no hope and blah blah blah blah. It doesn't matter, not her recovery, or her sadness, or her happiness. What matters is that she's dead and it's because of drugs.
For a book that could've meant so much more? This rather disgusted me. It was blunt and uncaring. It was too shocking and blunt to even process. It felt phony in comparison to the blunt honesty and care the author put into each of her entries.
This book used a scare-tactic to push its agenda. Do drugs and you die. End point. To put it into words I truly feel: it was pretty dumb, and I feel totally cheated.

nellie said...
This is so inspirational I love this story it shares everthing that I had ever dream about

on Sep. 4 2015 at 10:12 am
i am so wanting to read this boook

rheame said...
rheame, Anand, Other

turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

your review has made me eager to read the novel!!

rod1230 said...
Excellent story. Its nice to hear, the concern and thoughtfulness this person had for her friend. I hope this article brings more awareness about teens and depression.

good book, but I would revise this article because if you notice the book is published with the author anonymous, therefore the main character is anonymous. Also if you remember in the book there is a character briefly in there named Alice, but the main character talked to her and met her somewhere, but again Alice was not the main character. Also the fact that the title was based on Alice in Wonderland and her 'experiences with drugs in wonderland'. Bottom line is the main character does not reveal her name at all in the book, and to not confuse a the person reading this article I suggest revising it

SierraSpears BRONZE, Lingle, Wyoming

"Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone your afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters." - John Green

This is one of my all time favorite books! I have to admit that I cried at the end. This is probably the only book I've ever cried during and that's saying something since I've read The Fault in Our Stars. This book opens my eyes to the things that no one thinks of like lacing our party cups with LSD. Which little do we know will send us down a terrible road in the future. I love this book and would also recommend it to others who like Ellen Hopkins and books like 'Cut' or 'Skinny'.

genniesis said...
I remember this book laying on my cousin's bed when I was in the 7th grade, 12 at the time. I remember thinking I want to read that book, mainly because I had an obession with reading anything in site. My cousin lent me the book and I started reading it, immediately I was shocked by the painful words of alice. The formatting of this book is written in journal or diary format, which really captures her day to day struggles with her drug problem. The crazy thing is she got her coke laced with LSD and thats what started her addiction. Even if you aren't addicted to drugs, the way she decribes her day to day feeling of herself and the people surrounding her can relate to many teens. As a 12 year old reading this was all new to me, and definitely an early eye opener for the rest of my life. Till this day(17 years old) I remember Go Ask Alice from time to time when I see certain people in my own high school struggling with some of the problems Alice was. I would most certainly recommend this book to anyone, especially at an early age so that they may have this awareness early in life like I did. Reading this book set a foundation for me when entering high school, and the troubles that drugs can bring into your life.

kerrdayy_96 said...
on Mar. 12 2014 at 11:57 am
This book has made me understand that I am not the only teenager that has had struggles with drugs. This book taught me that drugs are useless. I love this book so much. Everyone from 8th to 12th grade should read this book. It had an emotional and mental impact on me. I didnt put it down since I started reading it. I could read it over and over and I would reccomend this book to anyone who loves reading diary entries. Any girl that is struggling with themself deep down, or thinks they have to impress a guy with drugs or thinking it makes them popular should read this book. It's like an advice journal that relates to teenage girls. I love this book and I don't think anything is wrong with it. Amazing book.

on Mar. 6 2014 at 12:23 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

This book is, at the very best, a Nancy Grace-esque horror flick, complete with parental warnings and foreboding stories of drugs and teens and self-esteem (oh my!). The book takes overly moralistic, in the sense that the writer forces her moral/ethical views on her readers, view of the world. This even goes so far as to partially place the blame on our portagonists submersion into drugs on her gay boyfriend. Classy! This book is NOT well-written, well-paced, or well-developed. This book is nothing more than a great big warning sign for helicopter parents about all the trouble their kids could possibly get into. 1.5/5 stars, do not recommend.

ercousins said...
my mom told me to read this so i did. i thought i wouldnt like it but i loved it. it was an emotional and helping book for me. i wish every teen could read it.

My 7th grade english teacher also suggested this book t me.

Benhoward said...
I very much agree with what you wrote in this article, this is information that I had been looking for, thank you because you are willing to share with us.

on Jul. 22 2013 at 1:51 am
Cheycakes SILVER, Helenville, Wisconsin

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls.”
― Ted Grant

I can proudly say I have read this book 6 times. I never fail to relate to Alice, or to feel her emotions strongly. I highly recommed this book to any girl who is struggling with any type of battle. Alice is in someways someone you can relate to (in my opinion, anyways.)

AOSIEUFHERJGFERUIJSDGASEUIOGJDKAL i love this book, i cant even explain, it was a real eye opener for things i didnt realise before.

Francescatownsend BRONZE, Navarre, Minnesota

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

Bob Dylan

For some reason my english teacher recommend this book to me in 7th grade, I am in 11th grade now and evidently it has been embedded in my mind. This book is a real eye opener, when I was reading it, it was almost as though I was living vicariously through her. Certainly, a life that I wish to not pursue. I recommend this book that wants an interesting read.

MMB491 said...
I would agree that this is an outstanding book. In fact, I believe it is one of the best young adult novels I have ever read. There is much speculation over whether the diaries are fictional or true; however, I didn't feel that affected how I felt after reading it. The accounts in this diary seem so real and well written. Many would argue that a fifteen year old girl couldn't muster such talented compositions. On the contrary, the late 60's early 70's were a very different time. Although parents appeared more strict in this time, it seemed laws and drugs were much more free. It is easy to imagine all of the run away teens and preteens prostituting themselves, using drugs, and sleeping in parks and on curbs---and most of them didn't care where they wound up! This isn't as common today, but it still happens, we just don't hear as much about it. I think the author of the diary did a great job capturing the positive, beautiful feelings of her experiences with drugs. Similarly, the writer equally described the melancholy and loss of identity associated with drug use. This novel could change lives, if not simply relate to them. Overall, a frightening and well-written account of a young girls' disheartening story from a regular teenager, to a popular free teenager, to a teenager that must be put back together. Future drug users must ask themself, "Should I try using?" Well, go ask Alice, and she'll tell you how to stop from losing your identity as well as sanity. A must read! 

farenbalanst said...
on Aug. 10 2012 at 2:49 am
This book is quite the tale; a quick net search reveals some interesting points but regardless of  veracity it IS very entertaining! It's a  A real latter-day parable of a precious life cut short by demon pills powders and potions. Even though it is set in the early 1970s when LSD was demon #1, replace LSD with Oxy or X and you have a modern horror tale. I recommend to anyone with too much curioisty for their own good.