If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince | Teen Ink

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince

When Lucy’s life is moved across the country to Long island, she gains a stepmother and two stepsisters. She finds herself totally alone until she is noticed by senior superstar, Connor. Her whole life is changed in a day, and she suddenly is know by the entire school and has friends she doesn’t even know. But is this new superstar life and Connor her true fairy tale?
Lucy, the main character in If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where my Prince?, is a taller girl with brilliant red hair. She is a new sophomore artist at Glen Lake High School just trying to find a place to fit in. She has a stubborn will and is very self-conscious. “I looked at my reflection. The older girl in the mirror who shrugged back at me didn’t look nearly as uncomfortable as I felt.” She is always struggling with her stepfamily. Mara, Lucy’s stepmother, puts a lot of stress on Lucy. Lucy’s father is gone for most of the week on business, so Mara has Lucy act like a slave. Lucy struggles with Mara, but with herself and her self-esteem as well. “My dad said Mara’s feelings might be hurt if we asked to hang mom’s paintings here. That’s pretty much the major theme in my life right now—Mara’s feelings.”
This book is well worth the time it took to read. It was very exciting at times and includes a lot of comedy. It is a quick read and very hard to put down. Melissa Kantor, the author, does an outstanding job of putting the reader in Lucy’s head, and you can almost feel her heart pounding. The detail used is incredible and is very easy to relate to. It deals with many of the issues high school students face everyday and shows that dreams really can come true.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 8:42 pm
Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana

Who's the author?