Peak | Teen Ink

Peak

Peak begins with the main character, a fifteen year old named Peak, getting arrested for climbing and tagging a series of skyscrapers. He was trialed in court as an adult, but has his punishment reduced with the agreement that he was to be moved in with his dad in Thailand and pay a fine of $150,000. When he arrives, his dad has an extreme surprise for him, his dad being one of the greatest climbers to have lived, plans to summit Peak on Mt. Everest. It’s a long and brutal journey; if he succeeds, he will be the youngest person ever to summit.
Peak was a destined climber from the start, his father and mother spending their years before his birth in the hills with climbing at their back door. He is also very intelligent, excelling in the field of writing. At the age of fifteen climbing skyscrapers freely proves him to be very brave and adventurous. Although his interaction with the law may make him seem to be a trouble child, he isn’t whatsoever, but kind and caring, shown for example in his relationship with his two half sisters.
His life was changed drastically with his move to Thailand. Leaving everyone and everything he had known behind to a place with very diverse in culture. Seeing his father for the first time in several years, bringing him to face what most wouldn’t even think about. He has the ability but is it in his fathers best interest for his business, or the personal satisfaction.

As a picky reader I found Peak to be a great book. I usually found most books all to boring to read for the author does a great job in keeping the readers attention. It’s about adventure and risk. For a reader who likes either or each of those things I think you would greatly enjoy this book. It’s an easy book to follow; the author explains everything in great detail. Many people like me don’t know much about climbing but he makes it easy to understand the terms and what’s going on.