The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Secret Life of Bees is a meaningful story of racism, humanity, and divine female rights. This book absolutely grabbed me and made me read. As my eyes sprinted over the words, I began to feel the characters’ pain and emotions.

This spiritual, adventurous story follows 14-year-old Lily Owens, whose life has been circling around a terrible, blurred memory of her mother. It is a uniquely written drama that grabs your heart and keeps you turning the pages.

One hot summer afternoon, Lily’s mother and father begin screaming at each other. Lily’s mother is shot and killed, and Lily is left with a harsh, ­neglectful father. Her only companion is her caretaker, Rosaleen, a fierce-hearted black woman who cooks, cleans, and acts as a stand-in mother.

The story is set during the year of the Civil Rights Act, 1964, in South Carolina. Lily decides she
is tired of living with her ­father, and with Rosaleen, she flees to Tiburon, South Caro­lina, a small town that holds
the secrets of her mother’s past. While walking through town they are taken in by three black women beekeepers who introduce Lily to a wild life of bees, new people, and the Black Madonna who rules over the household as a symbol of the Virgin Mary.

Lily’s mission is to find out about her mother’s mysterious past and who she really was. Bravery. Racism. Love. Those are the words that represent this story best.

Deej6595This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this book and the description was short and brief. The movie is accuratley portrayed as well...

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 10:04 am:
SPOILER ALERT!!!! :(

RainyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm:
While the review was kinda short and could've had a few more enticing details, it gave me a nice, brief overview of the basic idea of the book. I've seen the trailers for the movie adaption, I had no idea it was a book! Something to put on my "To Read Over the Summer" List.

aduke9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2012 at 12:27 am:
I loved this book!

SuperAngel224 said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm:
I agree 100% with this review. This was a fantastic novel, and remains one of my favorites! Did anybody else cry a little when May died?

maizyiscrazyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm :

SPOILER ALERT!

And yes, who am I kidding, I so did.

Celeste_N. said...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 10:19 am:

it was also a great movie

michelle101 said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm:
I totally agree with everyone, this book is inspiring in all the literary themes it witholds, with the turn of every page it just gets better and better. GREAT BOOK.......MUST READ!

AthenaBook said...
May 16, 2011 at 8:30 am:
Wow- definatley sounds very good and amazing- I'll be sure to check it out! Your article was very well done- descriptive, but not giving away the entire plot in the story. Now I have a chance to read it without knowing exactly what happens. Some advice would be to also omit the part where Lily runs away- I thought that was releasing a little to much information, and thought the article could have been better if you left it a little more mysterious as you did in the beginning and the end.  

browneyedcat said...
I love that book so much.  so inspiring and eye opening. A must read!!!!

Coryydee said...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:05 am:
I watched the movie as soon as it came out. Of course, I was younger and I didn't fully appreciate it as well as I could have. I read the book in my AP language class last year, and I must say- it's one of the best books I've ever read.

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree! This is a really good book! I am reading it right now in my English class. :) Great job.

peachesjk said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm:
this is an absolute amazing story, book and movie. anyone who appreciates well written stories should definitely check out secret life of bees.=]

Supergirl101 said...
Wow I heard of the movie and your review makes me want to read it.

EmilyClark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this book. The characters are fantastic and the symbolism profound. 

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:40 am:
your review makes me want to read the book! sounds really dramatic. could you take a look at some of my stuff? thanks.

crlygrl13579 said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm:
I had to read that for summer reading Pre-AP English...I would recommend that for any lovesick or not girl in the world <3

jbutterfly10 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm:
I read that. I loved it soooooo much. It made me cry:)

bokworm said...
May 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm:
loved the move didnt know it was a book ill try to get ot this one

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 6:09 am:
This is a bee-autifully written book (excuse the bad pun); a glowing review of a heart warming book I for one, now cannot wait to get my hands on.