Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By vulrich BRONZE, Haddon Heights, New Jersey
vulrich BRONZE, Haddon Heights, New Jersey

Hunger Games-By: Suzanne Collins
**** 1/2 Four and a Half out of Five Stars

Do you want to read book filled with action, adventure, romance, and a little bit of drama? How about a book that doesn’t take too long to read and won’t bore you to death? Well, I think that if you are into any of those genres such as action, adventure, romance, and drama then The Hunger Games is the right book for you to read. This book was overall very good, filled with surprises and was a book I never wanted to put down. This book is perfect for people of all ages.

The book The Hunger Games, part of a trilogy which includes Catching Fire and Mocking Jay, was written by Suzanne Collins. Oddly enough, since 1991 Suzanne Collins actually started off working as a writer for children television shows for Nickelodeon. One show that she wrote was an Emmy-nominated hit Clarrisa Explains it and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. While doing her work in children’s television she met a man James Proimos, who told her to try to start writing children’s books and she did so that. Her first book in The Hunger Games trilogy was written for James Proimos. Collins was nominated for a Writers Guild of America award for her work in co-writing Santa, Baby. It is said that she was inspired the movie Alice in Wonderland to write her first book for middle school students. Between 2003 and 2007, she wrote the entire Underland Chronicles and by 2008 when The Hunger Games was released she became the New York Times bestselling author.

This fiction book The Hunger Games is about a teenage girl named Katniss who lives in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic America. Some people may debate on the genre of this book, but I say that it has many such as science-fiction, action, adventure, romance, and drama. Along with this book comes two more which are Catching Fire and Mocking Jay. As I said before The Hunger Games is a trilogy. In a place known once as North America, is the land of Panem, which has a harsh and cruel Capitol that is surround by once 13 but now 12 districts. Each year the capitol sends and boy and girl ages 12 to eighteen to fight to their death the Hunger Games in front of the whole country. Katniss Everdeen a 16 year old brave, family loving, girl takes her younger sister Primrose’s place and volunteers to go to the Hunger Games. Along with her, a boy Peeta Mellark who is about her age and is the baker’s son. They then go to the Capitol and prepare themselves for the games. While they are there, they start off having the tributes parade, which shows the tributes in front of the sponsors. They are people who give money to the mentor. The mentor can get those gifts during the games, like food or medicine. Katniss and Peetas mentor is Haymitch who was a previous winner of the Hunger Games, but unfortunately is a drunk and isn’t very helpful to the two tributes. Also at the Capitol all the tributes go through training to get help for survival. The last thing before the games is the interviews with Ceaser Flickerman, who in a way can help the tributes, get more sponsors.

When they finally start the games, a lot of the tributes die within the first hour, and all these alliances start forming. Peeta starts out with the Careers who are from district one, and two, but then he leaves them when they’re just using him to get to Katniss. People fear Katniss because she got a high score during the training. Katniss goes with Rue the little girl from District 11 because she reminds her off her little sister Prim. During the games, the game maker announces that if there are two people from the same district left they can both be victors, which is basically the winner. By the end of the Games, it’s down to a few people to fight till death to try and win this competition.

In my opinion, I overall really enjoyed reading this book. The Hunger Games was very exhilarating to read and I never wanted to put it down and stop reading. This book kept me speculating and I, by no means, knew what would happen next. At points it was sad especially after people died throughout the book. The author definitely deserved the New York Times Best Selling author because this book was pretty amazing. The books overall theme was bravery especially from the tributes that stepped up and volunteered to be in the Hunger Games.

In conclusion, the book The Hunger Games was written by Suzanne Collins who was the New York Times Best Selling author after writing The Hunger Games Trilogy. This book is about twenty four tributes from 12 districts that fight to their death in the Hunger Games, with only a few tributes left, it book starts to get extremely exciting and you cannot put it down. The Hunger Games is about bravery and standing up for those who you care about. So if you want to read book filled with action, adventure? How about a book that doesn’t take too long to read and won’t bore you to death? Well, I think that if you are into any of those genres such as action, adventure, romance, and more then The Hunger Games is the right book for you to read.