The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder | Teen Ink

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

By sv_praveen_trichy GOLD, Parowan, Utah
sv_praveen_trichy GOLD, Parowan, Utah

This novel, ‘The bride of San Luis Rey’ is a Pulitzer winning one. This novel was based on the collapse of Inca rope bridge in Peru, and the people who were died in that incident. The author set this whole story on the subject, ‘Either we live by accident and die by accident, or we live by plan and die by plan.'

Some of the notable characters of this novel is Doña María, the Marquesa de Montemayor, Pepita, Esteban, Manuel and Don Jaime. They are the victims of the incident. In their living time they all longed for love. In this novel, author tried to explain the facts about the human’s fate, a supernatural power in a scientific way through the character monk Juniper.

The collapse of Inca Bridge was witnessed by monk Juniper who was on his way to cross it. He was so touched by the accident and began to explore, ‘why it had happened to those people?’. In the beginning of the novel, he thought that the accident was a pre-determined thing of God, but at last he came in to conclusion that the human beings are the one failed to understand the true meaning of life.

Thornton Wilder wrote this novel sentimentally, philosophically and with little humor. I really enjoyed this novel from first to last. After reading this novel I was not surprised why the Time Magazine included this novel in its TIME 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005.