Pure, a novel by Terra Elan Mcvoy | Teen Ink

Pure, a novel by Terra Elan Mcvoy

By tiffielovee BRONZE, Tumon, Other
tiffielovee BRONZE, Tumon, Other

"Being nice to people you don't like isn't called being two-faced, it's called growing up." -Drake

In today's society, we are surrounded by sex. When I was in the sixth grade, I made a promise, to myself and my future husband, to remain pure, and abstain from sex until I was married. For me, growing up wearing my purity ring around, I was questioned a lot, and I was teased about my decision. When I found Pure, I was so excited. Never before had I seen an author shed light on a subject such as sex, and more specifically the abstinence of it. Mcvoy does an excellent job at portraying the emotions and problems of a teen who is constantly questioning things. Through the book, we follow the main character, Tabitha and her group of friends who all wear purity rings, and share the promise of chastity. The rings are more than just symbols of their promises to themselves, but also a symbol of their friendships and bonds with each other. But as they girls each begin to develop relationships with boys, everything starts to get complicated. After Tabitha finally meets a boy makes a boy who makes her melt when they kiss, she feels like she can no longer confide in her friends, especially with the second thoughts she begins to have. Soon, secrets are spilled, and unthinkable betrayals cause the group of girls to split. As all this occurs, Tabitha is left to examine her friendships, her faith, and most importantly what it really means to remain pure. I found this book not only very interesting, and attention grabbing, but very enlightening. It is the perfect mixture of teenage emotions, and deep thoughts, and also religion. You aren't smothered with God, or religions, and you aren't suffocated by constant raging hormones throughout the book. I found a perfect, and innocent balance between the two, that I felt was perfectly appropriate for the age group it was intended for, and just an all together enjoyable read.

TerraMcVoy said...
Thank you so much for reading PURE, and for the thoughtful, thorough review! I'm glad you got so much out of it, and that you felt it was evenly balanced!