I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak | Teen Ink

I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak

February 27, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Ed Kennedy is 19 and very much aware of how little he has going for him. His little brother's big star at university. Ed himself is a reader, but has no hopes of going any further in school. He lied about his to get a job as a cab driver. His dad has died, an alcoholic. His smoking mother wants him to do many of favors for her, but really doesn't care about him.

Ed's out of the house, living in a crummy little house with his huge and loveable but extremely nasty smelling dog. He has a couple of close friends. Marv is really obsessed with saving money that he drives a car that won't start. Ritchie can't get his life together enough to find a job. Ed's in love with Audrey but she's going out with one guy to the next, never letting anyone get too close. They get together mostly to play cards and once in a while to play soccer.

Things are about to change for Ed. He stops a bank robbery. There's a story about him in the paper. Suddenly he receives a message, he is sent a playing card, the Ace of Diamonds, and on it is written three addresses. Ed decides between wanting to find out what's going on in those houses and being afraid. But slowly he convinces himself to get involved in the lives of the people who live there. Those people are also in desperate need to help.

I would say that this is the kind of book that should inspire you. It should inspire you to help others. Or to succeed in life. Well actually no book will make you succeed in life. Part of it has to be you. You have to make yourself get up and start the process. Your friends and family will help you get through it.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.