My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Linclon Collier, Christopher Collier | Teen Ink

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Linclon Collier, Christopher Collier

By StevenGray BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
StevenGray BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico

A grateful man makes a great ally.

The fortunate fall is the belief that the character of a story starts with less moral at the beginning then undergoes a massive event till he hits rock bottom and comes out on top of the problem with a solution to his dilemma. There is an old saying that war changes boys into men i think this can be true and untrue because war can change men into monsters.

Sam got changed (eventually dead) because of the war.He started with less moral because he bragged and got drunk. In the middle he got serous and sullen after he saw battle. At the end he died buy being shot twitching until he was put out of his misery. He occasionally snuck away from the military to visit his family.

The war changes Tim because Tim was sloth at times and thought the war can't reach him and hs family, he was wrong. first colonials came and tried to take the brown Bess that Sam stole and bullied Sam's dad Tim saw this and ran to Sam. Then Tim goes and outsmarts the Cowboys that took Tim's dad eventually they find out the dad is dead.

Tim's Mother was changed because of the death of her husband and her son (Sam) running away. it is only her and Tim and Tim tries to help but to no avail. at the end when Sam gets killed I could imagine her grief. She went from timid and fell in the fortunate fall and came out okay, but she never forgot what had happened.

War changes boys into men, Sam went from bragging and drinking to seriousness, Sam's dad was likely silly and childish but he went home deathly serous. War changes men into monsters, Ned died, the continental soldier bullied Tim's dad. the cowboys took Tim's dad and killed him, continental soldiers killed Sam.

This book is okay if your interested, personally if you are looking for historical fiction i don't recommend this book.