Desert flower by waris dirie | Teen Ink

Desert flower by waris dirie

By beth gebremariam BRONZE, Castro Valley, California
beth gebremariam BRONZE, Castro Valley, California

“Desert flower” is an autobiography written by Waris dirie. She tells her life story how she became from being a nomad girl into a famous model.
Waris dirie was an 11year old girl when she runs away from Somalia, because her father wants to marry her to a rich 60 year old man. As being Somali, there are so many traditions. She got circumcised at the age of four. As dirie grew up she knew there was more to life than being a nomad girl.
Waris escapes, and get to Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia. To be with her sister. While she worked for her sister and her family members she got in opportunity to go to London as a servant to a Somali ambassador. Four years later she stayed in London and worked at McDonalds and got a small apartment. While she was working this photographer saw her and fell in love with her face structure and her body figure, he begged her to work for him. When she started she fell in love with the job and continued to do it waris dirie, worked hard to fit in the modeling system and became a successful woman.
Dirie shows how determine and how you have to work hard to get to your dream. When no one supports you or your family and friends throw you out on the stress, when you hit rock bottom, you have to get back on your own without given up and losing hope.