The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

October 21, 2012
By Anonymous

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Suzanne Collins transports you into the future world of Panem and vividly depicts the life of Katniss Everdeen, in The Hunger Games.
Katniss Everdeen lives in the poorest district in Panem, District 12. She has to support her family after her father’s unfortunate death and becomes the family leader. She must overcome great obstacles in order to keep her mother and her younger sister, Prim safe. Such obstacles, consist of surviving the infamous Hunger Games where 24 competitors in Panem must fight to the death until one contender stands victorious. With the support of her mother and sister Katniss might just overcome these odds.
When Katniss volunteers in place of her sister to participate in the Hunger Games she believes she has just sentenced herself to certain death. The other contestants have come from much wealthier districts and some have even been training their whole lives for this event. However, despite all this Katniss is an experienced hunter, and has been fighting to survive since she can remember. Without a doubt in her mind she will die trying at the very least in the Games. For the sake of her sister, Katniss will give it her all. Like Katniss says “Really, really try. I swear it” (36).
I relate to Katniss because, Katniss and I both will do anything for our family. Our respective families mean the world to us. We both show great perseverance when times are hard and we do not show our weaknesses. We both are mentally strong and don’t let the pressure get to us. Overall, Katniss and I share many of the same qualities.
Collins shows that even a girl against all odds can climb from the ashes and be victorious. Katniss Everdeen will stop at nothing to support her family and show what she’s made of to all of Panem.