I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert | Teen Ink

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert MAG

By Samuel Breen BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Samuel Breen BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I read, not skimmed, but read I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert. In order to understand this review, I must explain my opinion of Stephen Colbert: he is among my favorite comedians and ­inspirations.

So, what genre does this book fall into? Satire. It satirizes modern America, its society and morals. Colbert presents a plethora of topics from sports to family to gay rights. He presents it from the perspective of his satirical, overly-conservative persona, by which he addresses his ­nationalist ideals of America and fundamentalist Christian values. What do those views entail? Some include the belief that evolution is false; that America has been blessed by God and states' superiority over other countries; and ­the idea that liberals are all ­militant socialists who forward their agenda to destroy America.

If you thought that politics were boring, then you will be shocked and pleased to learn this is not the case all the time. Satire can help enlighten you on how interesting politics can be, and it can give you a different view of the world, which is why I highly recommended this book. Many people in America do not have the courage to address the issues that Colbert does regularly in his writings and on his television show which adds extra inspiration and incentive to read this book.

The nature of this book, however, may not be suitable for younger children or young teens. But if you are able to put this book into proper context, I think you will enjoy it. It will definitely make you chuckle a lot – at the very least.