The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

September 28, 2012
By Minecraftpwner BRONZE, Indiana, Indiana
Minecraftpwner BRONZE, Indiana, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"E un improwiso tuffe e diece, si gionfiano fathoms profounda sollo stroda per l'inferno


I personally believe, that the Outsiders is one of the best books there is. I couldn’t put it down. My face was pretty much glued to it. The author, S.E. Hinton, did an exceptional job writing this book. She captivates you with details so descriptive and emotional it’s hard to believe the book isn’t real. The book has so much suspense it leaves your heart beating 5 times faster and your mouth wide open.
The main characters in the book are Ponyboy, Darry, Two-bit, Sodapop, Dally and Johnny. These people are all members of a gang known as “The Greasers”. The Greasers are essentially the good guys of the story. The Socs are the rival gang. The Greasers and Socs trade blows all the time. But, the Greasers have to go through a lot more in the book. They have to cope with deaths of friends, family, and loved-ones. Dallas (or Dally as they call him) is the bad boy of the gang. He’s the one who’s always in trouble with the cops for something. Darry is the brains and brawn of the gang. He is Ponyboy and Sodapop’s older brother. He’s the one who watches out for them. Sodapop is the happy-go-lucky one of the gang. Always bubbly and shifting giddily. Two-Bit is the jokester. He’s always got something to say hence his name “Two-Bit”. Johnny is more of the quiet one. Later on in the book his true voice and feelings start to show. Although he seems to mope around with a solid expression most of the time. He’s still recovering from the jumping that the Socs gave him.
Ponyboy is a tough nut to crack, but with all of the pressure he’s under, coping with deaths of friends, grades slipping, Socs, fear, guilt, anger, self-hate, he’s almost at his breaking point. He’s about to blow, until, his English teacher gives him an assignment that really opens his eyes to the world and its beauty.
The Outsiders is a book about friendship, acceptance, courage, and bravery. This book deeply moved me all 12 times i read it. it never fails to surprise me even after all the times I’ve read it. It still fills me with some sort of emotion. I highly suggest you read this book.


The author's comments:
This book is wonderful and i felt obligated to share this with other young readers