20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne | Teen Ink

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

The novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne follows the adventures of Professor Pierre Aronnax on the submarine the Nautilus. The captain of this vessel, Captain Nemo, is both a friend and enemy towards the professor. They both get along due to their love for knowledge; however, Professor Aronnax is a prisoner aboard the ship. This fascinating story ends with the professor escaping and the Nautilus, along with everyone on board, getting inhaled by a maelstrom in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

This book is amazing because of the adventure behind it. It’s a good learning experience because the ship is taken all over the world and it teaches about the geography behind each location using actual facts. The only nonfactual pieces of the book include the trip to Atlantis and the existence of a submarine back in the 1870’s. Jules Verne put much thought into the creation of his submarine. No such thing existed when the book was published so it’s interesting to think how alike Verne’s submarine is to actual ones today.

The characters can be greatly relatable to, as well as their internal conflicts, which is one reason why this novel can so easily draw the reader in. The strong symbolism between the Nautilus and Captain Nemo can only be realized in the end; another fantastic reason to continue reading after opening to the first page.