The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

June 6, 2012
By Anonymous

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is an amazing book, in my opinion. Unlike other books, The Book Thief is written in the point of view of death, which makes the book more interesting. The narrator carries you to many places and shows you another side of the dreadful truth in the past. I think that the author wrote in the point of view of death, because many deaths had happened at the Holocaust time period and the narrator is observing what others were going through, while collecting souls. For example, on page 307 the author shows us how different the narrator is from other books : "You want to know what I truly look like? I'll help you out. Find yourself a mirror while I continue." I chose this quote because it's one of many that shows how different the narrator is. Reading from Death's point of view made me look at the book a different perspective. The reason is because Death is communicating with the audience and so it made me as an individual to feel the presence of Death with me. The point of view in this book is shockingly, surprisingly amazing and the quote addressed above is just a little peak on a world full of fear itself.

This book is basically about a young German girl named Liesel, 9 years old, whose lost her parents and lives with her foster parents. She goes through a lot, but had to keep the biggest secret of her life and doesn't even tell her best friend, Rudy Steiner. Liesel is encouraged to read after her foster father teaches her, not knowing that one day she will discover the power of words. If you would like to see another point of view to a horrific story within a dreadful event in the past, then The Book Thief is perfect for you. I would strongly recommend this book to a person who wants a book that is very well written as well as informative about the topic and engaging. This author clearly shows that a lot of accurate research has been done and puts it together at a perspective that would make you wonder why Markus Zusak had done this?