The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen | Teen Ink

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen

June 1, 2012
By LissaBear BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
LissaBear BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'll try being nicer, If you try being smarter."


What would you do if you were at a Passover and you opened a door and appeared back in the Holocaust? Would you try to run or see what it’s like? Well, this is what Hannah goes through in this action, adventure book The Devil’s Arithmetic written by Jane Yolen.
Hannnah’s uncle Shmuel was getting married when all of a sudden they get to the Pavilion and then there are Nazis are waiting for them and saying they were going to bring them to a vacation place for a while and they will watch the town. Hannah’s name in the Holocaust is Chaya. Hannah doesn’t know what is going on until she gets back to the normal everyday life she had before she magically appeared in the Holocaust.
Hannah decided to go to the gas chambers instead of keep listening to the Nazis. To find out more buy the story that is full of suspense and will keep you reading till your done. I recommend this book for people in middle school and up, this book Is not a book for little kids who are being to read chapter books.
When I started reading this book I couldn’t put it down the story was full of suspense. If you like books about history then this book is for you. I can connect to this book a little bit because when I was a little kid I had a seizure and almost died. When I snapped back to reality I didn’t know what was going on at all. All I’m trying to say is that I really recommend this book for people who love reading about history and the holocaust.