Dreamland by Sarah Dessen | Teen Ink

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

By Catherine Beck BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana
Catherine Beck BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana

Caitlin would have never thought that she would ever be put in a situation like she was. Her whole life changed in a short time. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen is about Caitlin, who has lived a normal, teenage life until one day Cass, her sister, runs off with a guy. Everything just starts spiraling downhill from there.

Caitlin has always lived in the shadows of Cass, but has become the focus of her parent’s lives when Cass disappears. One night she met Rogerson, the love of her life, or what she thinks he is. Rogerson is a drug dealer and a terrible influence on Caitlin, but that doesn’t stop her.

When Caitlin and Rogerson are together, he makes her forget all of her problems feeling carefree, causing Caitlin to desert her friends. Little does she know how bad of an influence Rogerson is. Caitlin gets into drugs and drops everything in her life for Rogerson, but he begins to abuse her. What happens when the only thing in one’s life begins to negatively affect them? She doesn’t leave him; she loves him and how Rogerson makes it seem like nothing else matters in her life.

One night he got carried away and beat her so bad that the cops are called. That one phone call may have saved Caitlin’s life.

Dessen has touched so many important issues that we face in our world today including abuse, drugs, relationships, and fitting in during high school. Everyone who reads Dreamland can relate to it in some way, even if it’s a small relation.

I would recommend this book to any young adult or adult. Not only was the book relatable, but it kept my attention all the way to the end of the book. Dreamland makes you feel things you’ve never felt and experience, and it also gives insight to a different side to life. I would not just recommend Dreamland; I’d recommend Sarah Dessen.