Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler | Teen Ink

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

April 30, 2012
By Josey14 SILVER, Guilford, Indiana
Josey14 SILVER, Guilford, Indiana
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Review: Twenty Boy Summer
By: Sarah Ockler


We meet up in New York with three best friends Anna, Frankie, and Matt. They’ve been best friends ever since they can remember. They would tell each other everything. That’s what they all think anyway. Things start to heat up between Anna and Matt one summer. Anna has always had this crush on Matt since they were little. Nobody knew about, not even Frankie. Who is coincidentally Matt’s little sister and Anna’s best friend. The relationship between Matt and Anna is different. They’re not exactly dating but, they’re not just friends either which confuses Anna a lot. Anna doesn’t like keeping this secret from Frankie about her and Matt but, he thinks it would be better for him to tell her on their annual summer vacation to Zanzibar Bay in California.

Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
“Okay.”
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?"
“Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?”



It’s a day before Frankie and Matt leave when a terrible accident happens. Matt was killed. Leaving Anna wondering on whether she should tell Frankie or not.

The summer, a year after Matt was killed, Anna and Frankie are going to have their ABSE (Absolutely Best Summer Ever). Even thought it would be hard, Frankie and her family decide to go on their annual vacation to California. Anna was invited to go with them. The two best friends are so happy to be going with each other. Until Frankie comes up with a plan. The Twenty Boy Summer plan. She is hoping that if they find a different boy each day while they’re in California her and Anna can have the perfect summer romance but, what Frankie doesn’t know is that Anna has already had her first summer romance, with Matt. Over the couple of weeks they are there, Frankie and Anna learn things about the so called “truth” that they have been telling each other.

I can honestly say that after reading this book it it’s one of my favorites. The way that Sarah Ockler gives detail about things is so amazing. When she is describing how the beach feels, taste, smells she makes it feel that you are there. I also liked the way she put so much emotion into the book. It really showed how heartbroken Anna was over Matt. She shows how losing a loved one can really make people come together and be closer. She did an excellent job with binding all of the emotions that are in this book together.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.