Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann | Teen Ink

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

By Felicia_H. BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Felicia_H. BRONZE, San Gabriel, California

In the book Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann, a young adult named Kendall Fletcher lives in a small town called Cryers Cross. Unexpectedly, a young girl goes missing, and in the microscopic town of Cryers Cross, nothing goes unheard of. The whole town is in an uproar when Kendall's "boyfriend" goes missing without a trace, too. When a dashing young man enters Cryers Cross suspicions are high, but Kendall sees otherwise. Who will she chose? Her missing, and possibly dead "boyfriend" or the hot boy who plays soccer. I really enjoyed this book because it mixes reality with fantasy in a way that captivates you and actually makes you believe that these scenarios are truly possible. Another reason why I rave about this book is because it's not your regular old scary story. It actually has a message behind all the ghosts and spirits.
The combination of fantasy and reality was spot on. The way Lisa McMann explained what Kendall was going through;her mind and body slipping away, yet trying to grasp reality rather than giving into "the voice". "She sits in the shallow grave she just dug. reaches for the piles of dirt, drawing her arms around them and pulling them over her. Covering her feet and legs. She watches herself in horror. Part of her can't believe she's doing it, and part of her can't get it done fast enough." (pg.201) This demonstrates how Kendall is trying to stop the voice of taking over her mind...

You don't find this in books these days, but this book had a message. It was fairly invisible, but if you read between the lines, you are sure to find it. "It was the OCD that saved her. She knows that. And as much as she hates how it rules and ruins her everyday life, she vows that she will never complain about it again." It's the little things in life that drive us insane now, but it might come in handy in the future, and that is what I think the author is trying to get across.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed this read because it evenly mixed reality and fantasy, and it had an underlying message to the book. I recommend this book to be read by thirteen year olds and up due to the mature language, but other than that, this book is fantastic and should be read if you haven't read it already.

on Mar. 29 2012 at 12:51 pm
iholland95 BRONZE, Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

"Take things one step at a time."

"Don't be a hater. Support the fine arts!"

"Let's make the most of tonight like we're gonna die young"

I read this book and I LOVED IT!!! I read it last year around this time. I couldn't put it down. Such a great mystery. I love the way the author keeps the readers in suspence till the very end. I could read it again!!! I want to by my own copy of it.