The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

January 24, 2012
By Anonymous

The term “hamartia” is a Greek word that means “a fatal flaw” and John Green certainly did not make one in writing The Fault in Our Stars. This story of two star-crossed teenage cancer patients is not at all conventional. During the course of the three-hundred and thirteen pages, themes of loss and love consume each and every sentence, with allusions to many famous works that aid in the storytelling. Perspectives are changed, deep emotions are provoked, and hearts are broken as the characters come to life across the pages. Not all books have the same effect on each reader, but the author did the job of presenting clear themes and ideas regarding love and the losses all must go through during life.

The Fault in Our Stars seems to make a plunge right into the dark and avoided topics not found in every young adult novel. Hazel, a teenage cancer patient who has been in stage IV for quite some time, begins her narration speaking of dying and depression and how this led to her support group, where her life is forever changed. There, seemingly like fate, she meets Augustus “Gus” Waters. Their relationship quickly blooms, but always in a constant struggle between both loving one another and losing. The realism in this novel is what captures the reader. It is frankness in which reality is presented. It teaches the lesson that with love, there is loss, whether it is to be acknowledged or not. It is not a sad theme, but one that inspires living life fully and not counting down the days you have but enjoying them instead. John Green used the perfect amount of humor and seriousness in writing his novel and his ideas were flawlessly displayed for the reader to ponder upon and learn from.
Books leave different impressions on different people. The Fault in Our Stars is one that will have many different effects on people, but the lessons are all similar while reading the story of Hazel and Augustus. The eternal footman holds to their coats but they are unafraid. If only for a short while their love and loss is a story to remember; one that will linger while all others have been forgotten. John Green teaches the reader a thing or two about life and living. A truly captivating story is sometimes hard to come by, but when it arrives it is hard to forget.