The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

By mikey4614 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
mikey4614 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“There was one thing my murderer didn't understand; he didn't understand how much a father could love his child.” The Lovely Bones is a suspenseful mystery that means a whole lot. The author, Alice Sebold, did a great job suspending us from the mystery. Three main points that I want to talk about is the theme, what happen after Susan dies and my opinion about this book. This book shows how a family can stick together through out a murder.

The overall message or meaning of this book is kidnapping and rape. This book is about a young girl named Susan Salmon who was walking home from school and got stopped by a neighbor named George Harvey. George wants to show her something in the field and Susan goes because he is a friend of her dad’s. When George brings Susan to a dark place Susan knows she should have never followed him. He then ends up rapping and killing her.

Susan is then taken to heaven and finds her guide to her afterlife, who’s name is Franny. It seems that all of Susan’s family is falling apart because of her death. Her parents are getting into fights and even her little brother can’t sleep because he doesn’t know where his sister. When Susan gets to heaven she sees all of George’s victims and listens to all of there stories each one of them had a different way of getting killed. Franny tells Susan that heaven can be anything she wants it to be, Susan wants it to be just like her hometown. The only reason she choose to do this is to figure out if her family or the police ever found out who killed her. Susan’s sister, Lindsey, is on top of everything she has a plan to bring evidence to the police. She has been watching George’s home and locking his schedule into her mind.
This book was very good. Every time I started reading it I couldn’t put it down. The Lovely Bones is also a great book to represent teamwork. The whole Salmon family has to glue all these pieces together to find out who killed Susan. This whole book also has many surprising parts. There are many parts that just pop out and others that are dull but come back even stronger. The only part I got confused on is when Susan was half between earth and heaven, so the author could have explained those parts better.
I Hope you can see why this book is a great suspenseful mystery and is very good. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in mystery books. This book is also easy to follow.” I wasn’t lost or frozen I was alive…I was alive in my own perfect world” this is another quote from Susan Salmon. Everyone thinks Susan is dead forever but will they find out that she can see what they are doing to uncover this mystery?