Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Gabby444 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Gabby444 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Some people try to tell you that you can't, I say watch me! - Unknown
Life sucks, then you die. - Stephenie Meyer's book Breaking Dawn

The Hunger Games

“I Volunteer, I Volunteer as tribute.” This is something 24 people go through each year. What would happen to anyone if put in this type of situation. Hearing the name of a loved one being called to it. Would there be a volunteer to take the place of there younger or older sibling? Well this is actually what Katniss Everdeen, the main character,had to do. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, is a very good book. It’s were the characters fight against one another to the death. That’s a very weird position to be in. What had the world come to were either fight and kill or be killed. The background, districts, and love story is probably the main points besides the hunger games them self.

Prim Everdeen, Katniss’s little sister and the person she volunteered her life for. All that is told about her is that she is twelve. Has a little body like her mom, and two pets a cat and goat. Which there should be a lot more if the main character feels such an erg to go into such dangerous games for her little sister. Then there’s Gale. He’s Kattniss’s best friend/boy friend. It’s not very clear if they consider themselves that or not to the read and Katniss. But also there’s no really information on him either.

So when she volunteers another tribute has to be chosen. This tribute must be a boy and his name is Peeta. Those are the tributes from district twelve. Each one of the districts have there own jobs for the Capitol they must do. District twelve’s job is to mine coal. Also there number is how poor there district is starting one is the richest all they way to twelve being the poorest. Peeta and Katniss know this so during there training they must get good scores for good sponsors.

After Peeta and Katniss train they are given very high scores. But there’s a twist when Peeta is interviewed. He announces to everyone that he is in love with Katniss. So Suzanne Collins plays with this love story through the whole hunger games. But will Peeta or Katniss be able to kill each other when the time comes? To me this was a huge waste of time because there can only be one winner. Katniss acts like she is in love with Peeta, but I think she does like him towards the end of the book.

I volunteer for my death. This in other words is what Katniss was saying. When put in that kind of a position what is there to do? This book is very inspiring to read. I would recommend it to any body boy or girl. Even though there is a love story it’s not to sappy. It is very easy to follow and read. As long as your stomach may be able to hold a few of the fighting scenes. Living in this kinda of place would really suck. Life for everyone would be so much different, and things would mean less to those less fortunate. So now that the background, districts, and love story is covered, go find more out about The Hunger Games. “I volunteer as tribute.” This would be a very hard desison to make; what would be the right choice to make?