Lupita Mañana by Patricia Beatty | Teen Ink

Lupita Mañana by Patricia Beatty

By Carlos Molina BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Carlos Molina BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Lupita Mañana

The book Lupita Mañana was about two siblings, Salvador and Lupita Torres, whose father dies, which leads to them having to travel to the United States of America and cross the border illegally. They are forced to leave so they can maintain their low-waged paid mother, and little brothers and sisters. They make it over and find good decent paying jobs and are able to send a good amount of money to their family. They then meet La Migra towards the end of the book to find out more. This was not the greatest book ever, but it also was not the most awful book either, because it had a couple of unrealistic scenes, and it had some good cliffhangers that kept me wanting to read more and more.

The book was alright, but the unrealistic scenes messed it up. A scene that was really unrealistic was when La Migra goes to where they were working at which was a café and they were able to escape La Migra and they were able to escape the back door and hide in the back until they left. They didn’t escape La Migra only once but a couple of times. Another scene was when they were coming over to the United States they hid in a hopper and the guards searched every car except theirs, so I thought that was pretty sketchy. The cliffhangers didn’t let this book go completely to waste. A good cliffhanger scene that this book had was when it ended the chapter saying that Lupita and Salvador were sent into a van to eat and to get some sleep from a random stranger.

In the end this book was great with a few errors and a few awesome scenes. I recommend this book to people who like books about immigration, and the struggles people face when they cross the border. If you found La Misma Luna interesting then you would find this book interesting as well.