The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

Aliens John and Six, along with their human friend Sam, are on the run after the Mogadorians tried to kill them in Paradise, Ohio. Despite their best efforts to evade notice, the FBI continues to hunt them, believing that the three teenagers are dangerous terrorists. Their desperate escape is paralleled by the story of Marina, who is number seven and trapped in a Spanish orphanage. As the novel progresses, we see different sides of both old and new characters in their struggle to survive and preserve the Lorien legacy.

After the letdown of the prequel, I Am Number Four, I loved the fast-paced, thrilling plot in this book that ensnared me from beginning to end. The character development was much stronger, especially in Six and Marina, who turned out to be strong, resourceful heroines. Also, the legacies (superpowers) intrigued me; who doesn’t want antigravity, invisibility, healing, or telekinesis powers? Lorien history and shocking revelations eventually culminated in an incredibly painful cliffhanger that left me impatient for book three.

One memorable thing about this book is the relationship between Marina and Ella, a seven-year-old orphan with a huge secret of her own, was so realistic and heartwarming; it proved the Lorien are every bit as human as the rest of us, aside from their supernatural powers.