Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

By Jenna Bradford BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Jenna Bradford BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Into Thin Air is an amazing and compelling story about the dangers of mountain climbing. When Jon is faced with an opportunity to climb Everest, he can’t say no. His passion for climbing is what keeps him going with all the difficulties and challenges that present themselves on the mountain. Imagine… freezing in the dead of night while your mind is so delusional from extremely little oxygen and your body so exhausted that you can barely move. Not to mention all the deadly diseases and sicknesses that can overcome you while your body deteriorates from the harshness of altitude. Even with all of this in mind, Jon has no problem accepting the call. This book is filled with facts on past experiences and climbs of other people on Everest. By doing this it made the reading more entertaining because you weren’t focused on the main character the whole entire story. Reading this story has made me realize how easy my life usually is. While I am whining about not going out to dinner or having to clean my room, these brave men and women are risking their lives for the sport they love.

Reflecting back on my everyday life has made a tremendous difference in the way I look at things. I am extremely grateful for all of the luxuries that keep me entertained, safe and healthy. Into Thin Air is a life changing story that will bring tears to your eyes. The book was captivating emotionally and hard to set down at the intense parts of the story. As you follow Jon’s journey up the mountain it is almost as if you are right there with him. The way he describes the scenery and Everest is almost as breathtaking as if you are actually there. The text is organized with frequent chapters that are introduced with both a drawing and a short clip from another book or blog that dealt with Everest. By doing this, Jon also introduces different styles of writing, almost like a breath of fresh air. By Jon writing this story of his fallen comrades on his Everest climb, he is forever keeping their memory alive. These heroes will never be forgotten in both my heart and hundreds of other people, including Jon’s. The grief that he feels is evident throughout the story and gives a very human effect to it.