Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

By Kyle H. BRONZE, Chapel Hil, North Carolina
Kyle H. BRONZE, Chapel Hil, North Carolina

Fahrenheit 451
By Ray Bradbury, Ballantine Books; 1st traded edition 1996, 192 pages, $10.20
ISBN-10 0345410017
ISBN-13 978-0345410016

Guy Montag is not your average fireman. In the book, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, firemen aren’t meant to stop fires, they are meant to start them. In Montag’s world, books are illegal and Montag burns the book owners’ houses down. This book is a great read and it’s a suspenseful, action-packed story about what it is like to have a thing that is so taken for granted, illegalized and stolen from our society.

I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. It has a twisting plot that always keeps you guessing, action, suspense, irony, and a lot of thought put into it. Montag is an interesting dynamic character who ends up becoming the opposite of what he thought he was. It is very action packed and suspenseful in times when he has to run away from his own camarades, kill his own fire chief, and he has to outrun the Mechanical Hound, one of the most successful hunting machines ever fabricated. He starts off questioning nothing and ends up questioning everything his twisted society has ever taught him.

I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 14 because it has a hard plot to grasp, and it is very suspenseful and explicit in details. It has a lot of action and unsuspected endings in scenarios happening between him and his wife, colleagues, and other people in his life. The book teaches a very important lesson in life about defying society and always thinking about everything. This book teaches you that the majority is not always right, and has a more direct value about the amount of literature diminishing in the world.