Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

By RedWritingHood SILVER, Crawfordville, Florida
RedWritingHood SILVER, Crawfordville, Florida

I must be a mermaid, for I have no fear of depths but a great fear of shallow living.

Soul Surfer-Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back On The Board

“Soul Surfer” by Bethany Hamilton is perhaps one of the most inspirational comeback stories ever. I first bought this book almost 6 years ago, when it first came out. I loved it, but her story hadn’t really become very public or popular yet. Now that the movie has been released, it has become a lot more widespread and popular. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, let me clue you in.

Bethany Hamilton was attacked by a Great White Shark when she was 13. The shark took her left arm, up to her shoulder. She was back in the water surfing in a matter of weeks. She said she still has no fear of the sharks, and will continue to surf. She said all surfers know the risks of surfing, and still continue to surf, it’s not a big deal to them. They say she has saltwater in her veins.
To me, being a swimmer, I know what it’s like to love something so much and to feel like you will always be doing it, that nothing will ever stop you from doing it. But I don’t think I would ever be able to recover so quickly, or be so quick to get back in after something as big as a shark attack. But her faith that God would protect her and has helped her through some very difficult times, and she will be forever grateful for his blessings in her life.

I have always had a fascination with surfing and sharks, so this book is one of my all-time favorites.