In Cold Blood by Truman Capote | Teen Ink

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

By Alanna McDermott BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
Alanna McDermott BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts

In 1959, the little town of Holcomb Kansas was greatly disturbed by the murder of the town’s picture perfect family, the Clutters. Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood is the true account of this multiple murder and the consequences the two criminals faced. Although the audience can anticipate the outcome of the story, Capote maintains a feeling of suspense throughout the book. He also develops a surprising intimacy between the author and each character. With this intimacy, Capote is able to create a feeling of sympathy for the murderers, even after explaining in detail the horrors of the crime they committed.
The transitioning at the beginning of the story between the Clutters’ lives and the thoughts of their murderers is intriguing, yet disturbing, which draws the reader in. The book In Cold Blood would not be considered a good read to everyone. In fact, some may be horrified by the gruesome details of the real life quadruple murder. However, it may be one of the most superbly written true accounts, and is a good read for anyone who may be interested in murders, criminal investigations, and the process of prosecution and punishment of criminals. In Cold Blood will make the reader think, and will even cause a range of emotions to be felt toward all of the characters included in the account. The reader can see that even Capote discreetly interjects his opinions and thoughts by the way he portrays each character. I would definitely recommend In Cold Blood, but cautions readers that it is full of mature content that may be disturbing to some.