Big Fish by Daniel Wallace | Teen Ink

Big Fish by Daniel Wallace

September 13, 2011
By Nathan Hall BRONZE, West Seneca, New York
Nathan Hall BRONZE, West Seneca, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“He turned into a weird creature… concurrently young and old… my father became a myth.” Big Fish by David Wallace is the story of a young adult named William Bloom who returns home due to his father's severe illness. His father, Edward Bloom, lived an interesting life and told tall-tales of those experiences. Whether it be going to school through snow that buried his house or saving a child from a wild dog, William remembers his father’s life in his father’s last moments.

Daniel Wallace wrote Big Fish in a very unique way. The story begins with William remembering the stories his father told him about his life. After remembering several stories, the novel cuts to his father’s death, this is repeated several times. But the story does not have a consistent plotline and may become confusing.

The way the characters are portrayed is also quite unique. Edward Bloom is described to be larger than life. The story of his life appears to be fiction to his son, William. None of the other characters were as interesting as Edward Bloom and were hardly included in the story, whereas other novels would include the characters in a fairly balanced manner.

Finally, the ending is unlike that of any other novels. Apart from being written in an unusual way, the story itself is strange too. This is mainly because Edward Bloom dies in four different ways, four different times. Each chapter of his death is more fictional and outlandish than the previous.

All in all, Big Fish by Daniel Wallace is a unique book which I believe would appeal to anyone who likes fictional novels or tall-tales.