Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen MAG

April 18, 2008
By Anonymous

Chick-lit takes a backward spin into England's Victorian era with this novel by the brilliant Jane Austen, the wittiest and most entertaining female author of classical literature.

Sisters and best friends Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are struggling under the common pressures of women of their time: they must find a suitable husband (suitable meaning wealthy). It is especially important to the young Miss Dashwoods that they marry into money, since they were left penniless when their father died leaving all his money to their half-brother.

Elinor is the practical and polite older sister, with manners radiating pure common sense. In contrast, Marianne has a dramatic spirit and is not afraid to speak her mind; she is a slave to her emotions, epitomizing sensibility.

What makes this novel a unique read is Austen's humor, which I love. Her characters could be people from any ­reader's life. Austen creates ­vibrant personalities that stalk the imagination and are not easily forgotten.

You will definitely be surprised by this book. Though
the girls may not lead the most ­exciting lives, through their personalities readers will gain a better knowledge of themselves, as I did. It may be impossible to step lightly into Austen's literature; her writing style is addictive and unique, breaking away from her literary peers' serious tones.

By the end, I had grown ­attached to the characters and their lives, and so was reluctant to leave them. I am sure that with this novel's wonderful ­descriptions and dialogue, you will be too.