Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Chick-lit takes a backward spin into England's Victorian era with this novel by the brilliant Jane Austen, the wittiest and most entertaining female author of classical literature.

Sisters and best friends Elinor and Marianne Dashwood are struggling under the common pressures of women of their time: they must find a suitable husband (suitable meaning wealthy). It is especially important to the young Miss Dashwoods that they marry into money, since they were left penniless when their father died leaving all his money to their half-brother.

Elinor is the practical and polite older sister, with manners radiating pure common sense. In contrast, Marianne has a dramatic spirit and is not afraid to speak her mind; she is a slave to her emotions, epitomizing sensibility.

What makes this novel a unique read is Austen's humor, which I love. Her characters could be people from any ­reader's life. Austen creates ­vibrant personalities that stalk the imagination and are not easily forgotten.

You will definitely be surprised by this book. Though
the girls may not lead the most ­exciting lives, through their personalities readers will gain a better knowledge of themselves, as I did. It may be impossible to step lightly into Austen's literature; her writing style is addictive and unique, breaking away from her literary peers' serious tones.

By the end, I had grown ­attached to the characters and their lives, and so was reluctant to leave them. I am sure that with this novel's wonderful ­descriptions and dialogue, you will be too.

Aelia said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:38 am
Good review. I liked the book too. I love how Austen  wrote about everyday life. She gives insight to that era.

SillyLilli23 said...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:35 am
Great book. Some of the movies are good. Mixed emotions at times. Jane Austin never dissapoints!

thebluehour said...
I am an extreme lover of Jane Austen's works. I own many copies, and am re-reading Pride

sallygee said...
Nov. 9, 2008 at 3:49 am
Amanda B, as someone who has been a fan of Jane Austen's novels (all six of them) for over 40 years, I am always delighted to see young people appreciate her sense of humour, her characterizations and sense of place, and her wonderful books. If you are like me, you will find yourself returning to them to read over and over again, and every time you do, you will find something new to appreciate. I have only one criticism to make with your review, and it is an error that a lot of people make. J... (more »)