A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

Allure said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 8:54 am:
When reading this I cryed all threw the book. I cant understand why anyone would want to do this to anyone and it worse becuase it a child. I think if I was in his place I would have told. Or even if I was the dad or the brothers. How do you watch all that and say nothing. This was a story that makes you really think.

Twilight replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 6:10 am :
Allure,  If you were in David's place you would tell because it is such a drastic change for him and you used to love your mother and in a way you still love her.

Allure replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:46 am :
Yes I know that is what I said I would have told I cant just sit there and let myslef be abused or watch others be abused

JonasLover89 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 1:48 am:
"The Lovely Bones" (Alice Sebold, if you were wondering, it has also been remade into a movie very recently) is like that too...haunting and appalling but a wonderful book and story. It is really terrible what this person must've gone through, no one should ever be treated like that.

bdekan said...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 10:28 am:
where did dave pelzer go to college

princess6 replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm :
He enlisted in the airforce since he couldn't afford college, i'm not sure if he went back and attended college but the last book did not say so

*yesi* said...
WHEN I READ THIS BOOK IT MADE ME CRY I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW A PERENT CAN DOP THAT TO THERE KIDS THEY SHOULD TREAT THERE KIDS GOOD NOT BAD......

mallory14 replied...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm :
i totally agree....what he wen through was totally unbearable, how can someone do that to their child

Sarah♥ said...
This is a good review. I read this book when I was younger; it made me cry. You're right, it's hard to understand how a parent could treat their child like that.

Moonbeam13 said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 6:12 am:
After reading this book, i couldn't eat hotdogs because of what happened in it.

iliketac0s replied...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 9:18 am :
i know, that part was so gross... and the sad part was that that was probably one of the least terrible things that he went through during his childhood :'(

Sunshineyday said...
Every time I think about this book, I feel a little bit cold inside. I almost wish I'd never read it, because when i remeber things I've read in it I shudder. It is a well written book, but it is raw, explicitly detailed and sensitive minds should opt not to read it. you review is good, but I most agree that it is only for VERY mature readers.

Carellyn T. said...
Jul. 18, 2009 at 4:15 am:
i've never finished the book i start crying a page into it. but from what i have read and head it was a very tuching book.

Jennie H. said...
May 21, 2009 at 5:05 pm:
This is a really good review. I haven't read this book, but my friend has and she really liked it. I think im going to read it soon.

annkaykay2011 said...
Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm:
Its an amazing book with all the truth of the world and horrors it really has. P.S. Good Review, very straight to the point.

taylor M. said...
Feb. 24, 2009 at 11:46 pm:
really is a sad book.
but very good.

blah said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm:
so sad but good book

Kyle said...
Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:55 am:
I love this book. To me it was a very good book and the review was right on point.

Kimmyy(: said...
Feb. 9, 2009 at 12:06 am:
This book is phenminal!
Its just unbelievable what Dave had to go through;

Felicia E. said...
Hey I like the sound of that book I feel real BAD for pezler And im sorry his child hood was like that my friends read that book i might too.

Nina Boo said...
I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!!! P.S., I liked the review. Well written.