A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

HisAngel said...
The book brought me to tears more than once. It made me want to punch his mother.

Sheehan2011 replied...
who doesnt want to punch her. how could you do that to your flesh and blood... this is a tear jerker :'(

HisAngel replied...
I want to know what goes through your mind when you torture your own child. Its horid.

Valery5 said...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 11:36 am
This book is really really good. Everyone should read it cuz what this little boy went throw is sadly still happening today.

moorevicz21 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:26 am

this book made me feel like i was going to throw up because of how repulsed i was by what an awful living thing th mother was. but the sequel made me sob even more.

starlight26:) said...
Such an inspiring book. It brought tears to my eyes.His mother's addiction to alchohol was a reason why she turned from caring mom to evil woman. It makes me think about all the  suffering in this world and this specific story. Severe tourture that caused one innocent child pain physically and emotionally. All this, happening in his very own "home"

starlight26:) replied...
This is a MUST READ biography!!!!!

toflyaway said...
This made me feel so bad inside, like the world was such a bad place. The things his mother put him through were so epically inhumane....

squeak said...
I cryed when i read this book, its one of my favs X) 

Laughternchoclate said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:33 am
Has anyone read the book Chinese Cinderella? That sounds like this, plus it's a true story, and i swear, my heart broke about halfway through and when I was done I wanted to throw up. Don't books like that just make you wanna listen to a good song?

Closed-In replied...
i will be the 1st to say i cried at the end of this book this book is the best book i've ready through-out mt years and i have to say if there is people out there who did't ready you have to cuz its the best one yet

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 5:59 am
I've read Chinese Cinderella - it's so sad, and your heart reaches out for Adeline. It's one of my favourites. A Child Called It is also breath-snatchingly so. I just don't understand how someone who would've once been that perfect fairy-tale, picture book mom could possibly become a woman who would burn her own son because as a kid, he was always just a little too loud. It really is a sensational book though, and it's amazing to see how far he's come.

Allure said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 8:54 am
When reading this I cryed all threw the book. I cant understand why anyone would want to do this to anyone and it worse becuase it a child. I think if I was in his place I would have told. Or even if I was the dad or the brothers. How do you watch all that and say nothing. This was a story that makes you really think.

Twilight replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 6:10 am
Allure,  If you were in David's place you would tell because it is such a drastic change for him and you used to love your mother and in a way you still love her.

Allure replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:46 am
Yes I know that is what I said I would have told I cant just sit there and let myslef be abused or watch others be abused

JonasLover89 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 1:48 am
"The Lovely Bones" (Alice Sebold, if you were wondering, it has also been remade into a movie very recently) is like that too...haunting and appalling but a wonderful book and story. It is really terrible what this person must've gone through, no one should ever be treated like that.

bdekan said...
Jan. 6, 2010 at 10:28 am
where did dave pelzer go to college

princess6 replied...
He enlisted in the airforce since he couldn't afford college, i'm not sure if he went back and attended college but the last book did not say so

*yesi* said...
WHEN I READ THIS BOOK IT MADE ME CRY I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW A PERENT CAN DOP THAT TO THERE KIDS THEY SHOULD TREAT THERE KIDS GOOD NOT BAD......

mallory14 replied...
i totally agree....what he wen through was totally unbearable, how can someone do that to their child

Sarah♥ said...
This is a good review. I read this book when I was younger; it made me cry. You're right, it's hard to understand how a parent could treat their child like that.