A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

on Sep. 4 2014 at 2:53 pm
I really enjoyed this book its a great story !

on Sep. 4 2014 at 2:49 pm
i really love this book god bless this person im glad he survied !

on May. 22 2014 at 4:48 pm
ImmortalRose GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Khalil Gibran

Thats a little harsh.

harlieb said...
on Dec. 2 2013 at 2:13 pm
That is not far for people to judge others. No one knows what happeened except him

birtas said...
on Sep. 25 2013 at 9:55 am
birtas, Reykjavík, Other
Good job. It was a great review. You explain very well what the book is about and you don’t tell us too much which is great because than we wouldn’t have to read the book. You make us get exciting so we will want to read it. It worked for me though. I can’t wait to read the book.

on Jan. 13 2013 at 8:54 pm
I was nly 14 when I read this. I almost puked from the gruesome torture. Not only that but there was not I time reading this that my shirt was not wet with tears. I believe that to read this and not cry, makes you as evil as David's mother. Also this book made me think about all the times a saw a child who stunk, or was wearing destroyed cloths. In my opinion this book is great for anyone wanting to read about abuse, but I also give cation to those who are easily saddened or have a weak stomach.

on Dec. 10 2012 at 11:26 pm
I am not the smartest student.I had low grades in reading,so I though that I should progress my reading.One of my friends read this book and I decided to read it ass well.I began reading it and became soo into the book.I didn't wanna stop reading it.I love this book it is my favorite book I have ever read.I never new how much this book ment to me.I recommend this book to any teens that really don't enjoy reading but need to progress.

audzz said...
on Oct. 25 2012 at 5:11 pm
what i dont understand is the fact you dont believe him ay... jst bcoz u have not suffered through the thingz he has does not mean you are to judge him.. and accuse him ov being a liar...yes u r entitled to ur opinion... bt have in mind there are people who look upto him.. y degrade him..and assume that he is a liar... i myself look upto him... being brave enough to write about the daunting and horrible past... being able to express his upmost darkest secrets... standing on his own... knowing what he doesnt want to put his son through...

Deni3 said...
on Oct. 25 2012 at 10:58 am
My youngest daughter brung it home from school and she said Mom u ought to read this book,it is sad,so i read it,i would not even image doin this to done of my kids,i do not have the heart to whip them when they need it,I loved the book,I read it in half day and cried,i tell my kids everyday i love them,Please People our Kids r our Lifes,protect them,Don't hurt them,no child should be treated like that,no matter if u do not want them,send them somewhere that they will be wanted..Dave sorry that happen to u and someone should had said and done something then.

smitty b said...
on Oct. 12 2012 at 11:08 am
thank god someone sees him for what he is, proof he lies? uhm book was never nominated for a pulitzer, he was discharged from the air force for being nutter then a fruit cake, his other family members have admited he was a trouble maker as a kid. he is a con man. as an abused child, no way would I ever be as wishy washy as he is! sick he makes a buck off this! and no my therapist didn't like me throwing that piece of trash called book at her!

on Sep. 20 2012 at 8:05 pm
KenKenForeverz BRONZE, Tomball, Texas

“we accept the love we think we deserve.”

My best friend owned this book and recommended it to me. I took it home, didn't put it down for the whole day. I read the whole book in my room, crying. It was one of the best books ever.

sunshine said...
on Sep. 5 2012 at 10:56 am
why even say anything? im just kidding  

S. said...
on Aug. 16 2012 at 2:29 pm
Very well written, honest and truthful review! Really am thinking of checking this book out!

sallydots said...
on May. 31 2012 at 4:04 pm
this is such a sad story and i really hate the endings

ML2112 said...
on May. 28 2012 at 5:35 pm
Maybe for proof you should ask him if you can see the scar tissue on his chest from where his mother stabbed him. It's incredibly rude to discount his story. It makes you wonder why victims are so afraid to reach out, because they're worried people like you won't believe them.

on Apr. 18 2012 at 12:55 pm
BlackCloudsLover SILVER, Waterford, Wisconsin

"I am imagination. I can see what the eyes cannot see. I can hear what the ears cannot hear. I can feel what the heart cannot feel."

Ya, I agree! It's just horrible that his own family did this to him:(

tsl2013 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2012 at 8:53 pm
tsl2013 BRONZE, Breakfast, Iowa
the saddest part  is that to this day his siblings deny it happened

on Mar. 26 2012 at 9:21 am

I have read this book about 3 times because I just needed to get a better understanding of what was really happening and how other people would react to what David was dealing with. I cried everytime at the same parts I've read it and it's just such a tragic story, it is amazing that he actually wrote this book knowing that a lot of people who go through this type of issue don't speak out and I think he has really inspired a lot of people.

liarslol said...
on Mar. 21 2012 at 2:03 pm
his teachers do not let it happen just saying i don't want to ruin the book for people who haven't read it but they don't let it happen

Kianie GOLD said...
on Mar. 8 2012 at 2:56 pm
Kianie GOLD, Westphalia, Kansas

"You are the music as the music lasts" - Stevie Wonder

I've read this book before... It honestly made me cry a few times. You'd never think a kid such as David could experience and survive things like that. Such a tradgic, yet inspirational story. <3 Awesome review.