A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

emidawn said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:41 am
this book is so interesting that i kind of want to read it, but after i hear that this poor child was beaten... i think i would'nt be able to finish it. 5 stars for the reviewer! :)
manga_maniac said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:35 am
i had a friend who read this, and i picked it up while waiting in a bookstore one time. i only got through about 5 pages and almost cried.
pRiCkLy~GiRl replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 11:44 am
Wow i almost cried 2 i really wanna read the ole thing
Senga123 said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 7:05 am
Although i agree with you, it was a fantastic book, there are some people who say it may not been as gruesome as he made it sound. I agree with xAllegria for the most part. 
xAllegria said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 5:51 am

First off I was also quite touched by the book, and appalled by all the abuse the kid went through. The fact that the story is true also makes it all the more shocking and makes the reader want to react to child abuse.

However, I don't think the book was meant to be a great literary work so much as a message to be strongly conveyed. Therefore I disagree that the book is a literary masterpiece, or extremely well written etc. It's easily visualized because the details are gruesome enough... (more »)

chey-chey said...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:48 am
It is sad that the book is good and i am going to read it one more time i cried in it it has to stop
B@rb!3 said...
great book but a sad story
BooksRule replied...
This story isnt real - the author has had many sessions in court and has been sued because most of the story was made up.
uhm, katiee(: replied...
uhm, not to be rude but this is too a true story and i doubt what you think happened is true but i didn't in the end of the book it's the author telling the readers how he made it out and everything ! i just read the book so don't trry to prove me wrong and i doubt somebody would go to court for that because there are some wayy worse books out there! -thankyou!
Lou Lou # 21 replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

uh..have u accutually read any information about dave pelzers guessing go back to reading ur little winnie the pooh books...once ur done try to grow up a little.

thank you :) 

Lilies said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:57 am
This book was amazing.The most touching part was when Dave Peltzer started talking about his son.
shynazation said...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am
I have read the book and i loved it(in a non-sadistic way).  Until now, I still cannot imagine how cruel his mother could be and that he managed to survive all this while.  He is definitely strong and a good role models for everyone.
Maehym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I did enjoy this review, and the book was very powerful in many ways. However, his principal and teachers are the ones that called the cops, so I don't think that you could say that they let the abuse slip by. Great review though. :)
xHellokittyfairyx said...
Its sad how evil people could be to their own children 
iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:03 am
Its soo sad. It makes you think. i wanted to help him, but then i realized he was in the book.
madygirl said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:52 am
probably the most eye opening book i have ever read!
DarkKnight said...
I think that this book was a real eye opener to child abuse. i can't believe she did all of that to her own son! David was strong to be  able to deal with the absolute torture he went through. when she stabbed him, i thought he was gonna finally get out of that **** house.  I think somebody should spread awareness about child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post! Maybe we can make a big difference in the world.
Valkeryie replied...

I'm with you! No more child abuse!!

(Hear, Hear!)

DarkKnight said...
GRRRRRRRR!!!!! How could someone make their child EAT cleaning chemicals?!! His mother was extremely psycho! I read this book a while ago and I wanted to cry with him. It gave me a sense of helplessness as he was beaten and when his mom yanked his arm out of its socket and when she stabbed him just made me want to kill her myself! It's sad that stuff like this is still happening. I say someone should make people more aware of child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post!
agsmiley888 replied...
i feel the same way, i shed some tears, and at some points int eh story i was extremly angry,  I cant believe any mother could be heatless as she was.