A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:03 am:
Its soo sad. It makes you think. i wanted to help him, but then i realized he was in the book.

madygirl said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:52 am:
probably the most eye opening book i have ever read!

DarkKnight said...
May 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm:
I think that this book was a real eye opener to child abuse. i can't believe she did all of that to her own son! David was strong to be  able to deal with the absolute torture he went through. when she stabbed him, i thought he was gonna finally get out of that **** house.  I think somebody should spread awareness about child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post! Maybe we can make a big difference in the world.

Valkeryie replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 7:46 pm :

I'm with you! No more child abuse!!

(Hear, Hear!)

DarkKnight said...
May 14, 2010 at 8:17 pm:
GRRRRRRRR!!!!! How could someone make their child EAT cleaning chemicals?!! His mother was extremely psycho! I read this book a while ago and I wanted to cry with him. It gave me a sense of helplessness as he was beaten and when his mom yanked his arm out of its socket and when she stabbed him just made me want to kill her myself! It's sad that stuff like this is still happening. I say someone should make people more aware of child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post!

agsmiley888 replied...
May 14, 2010 at 11:24 pm :
i feel the same way, i shed some tears, and at some points int eh story i was extremly angry,  I cant believe any mother could be heatless as she was.

HisAngel said...
May 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm:
The book brought me to tears more than once. It made me want to punch his mother.

Sheehan2011 replied...
May 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm :
who doesnt want to punch her. how could you do that to your flesh and blood... this is a tear jerker :'(

HisAngel replied...
May 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm :
I want to know what goes through your mind when you torture your own child. Its horid.

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 11:36 am:
This book is really really good. Everyone should read it cuz what this little boy went throw is sadly still happening today.

moorevicz21 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:26 am:

this book made me feel like i was going to throw up because of how repulsed i was by what an awful living thing th mother was. but the sequel made me sob even more.

starlight26:)This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Such an inspiring book. It brought tears to my eyes.His mother's addiction to alchohol was a reason why she turned from caring mom to evil woman. It makes me think about all the  suffering in this world and this specific story. Severe tourture that caused one innocent child pain physically and emotionally. All this, happening in his very own "home"

starlight26:)This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm :
This is a MUST READ biography!!!!!

toflyaway said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 7:44 pm:
This made me feel so bad inside, like the world was such a bad place. The things his mother put him through were so epically inhumane....

squeak said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm:
I cryed when i read this book, its one of my favs X) 

Laughternchoclate said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:33 am:
Has anyone read the book Chinese Cinderella? That sounds like this, plus it's a true story, and i swear, my heart broke about halfway through and when I was done I wanted to throw up. Don't books like that just make you wanna listen to a good song?

Closed-In replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 1:47 pm :
i will be the 1st to say i cried at the end of this book this book is the best book i've ready through-out mt years and i have to say if there is people out there who did't ready you have to cuz its the best one yet

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 5:59 am :
I've read Chinese Cinderella - it's so sad, and your heart reaches out for Adeline. It's one of my favourites. A Child Called It is also breath-snatchingly so. I just don't understand how someone who would've once been that perfect fairy-tale, picture book mom could possibly become a woman who would burn her own son because as a kid, he was always just a little too loud. It really is a sensational book though, and it's amazing to see how far he's come.

Allure said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 8:54 am:
When reading this I cryed all threw the book. I cant understand why anyone would want to do this to anyone and it worse becuase it a child. I think if I was in his place I would have told. Or even if I was the dad or the brothers. How do you watch all that and say nothing. This was a story that makes you really think.

Twilight replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 6:10 am :
Allure,  If you were in David's place you would tell because it is such a drastic change for him and you used to love your mother and in a way you still love her.