A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

B@rb!3 said...
great book but a sad story

uhm, katiee(: replied...
uhm, not to be rude but this is too a true story and i doubt what you think happened is true but i didn't in the end of the book it's the author telling the readers how he made it out and everything ! i just read the book so don't trry to prove me wrong and i doubt somebody would go to court for that because there are some wayy worse books out there! -thankyou!

Lou Lou # 21 replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

uh..have u accutually read any information about dave pelzers storylife...im guessing not...so go back to reading ur little winnie the pooh books...once ur done try to grow up a little.

thank you :) 

Lilies said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:57 am
This book was amazing.The most touching part was when Dave Peltzer started talking about his son.

shynazation said...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am
I have read the book and i loved it(in a non-sadistic way).  Until now, I still cannot imagine how cruel his mother could be and that he managed to survive all this while.  He is definitely strong and a good role models for everyone.

Maehym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I did enjoy this review, and the book was very powerful in many ways. However, his principal and teachers are the ones that called the cops, so I don't think that you could say that they let the abuse slip by. Great review though. :)

xHellokittyfairyx said...
Its sad how evil people could be to their own children 

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:03 am
Its soo sad. It makes you think. i wanted to help him, but then i realized he was in the book.

madygirl said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:52 am
probably the most eye opening book i have ever read!

DarkKnight said...
I think that this book was a real eye opener to child abuse. i can't believe she did all of that to her own son! David was strong to be  able to deal with the absolute torture he went through. when she stabbed him, i thought he was gonna finally get out of that **** house.  I think somebody should spread awareness about child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post! Maybe we can make a big difference in the world.

Valkeryie replied...

I'm with you! No more child abuse!!

(Hear, Hear!)

DarkKnight said...
GRRRRRRRR!!!!! How could someone make their child EAT cleaning chemicals?!! His mother was extremely psycho! I read this book a while ago and I wanted to cry with him. It gave me a sense of helplessness as he was beaten and when his mom yanked his arm out of its socket and when she stabbed him just made me want to kill her myself! It's sad that stuff like this is still happening. I say someone should make people more aware of child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post!

agsmiley888 replied...
i feel the same way, i shed some tears, and at some points int eh story i was extremly angry,  I cant believe any mother could be heatless as she was.

HisAngel said...
The book brought me to tears more than once. It made me want to punch his mother.

Sheehan2011 replied...
who doesnt want to punch her. how could you do that to your flesh and blood... this is a tear jerker :'(

HisAngel replied...
I want to know what goes through your mind when you torture your own child. Its horid.

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 11:36 am
This book is really really good. Everyone should read it cuz what this little boy went throw is sadly still happening today.

moorevicz21 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:26 am

this book made me feel like i was going to throw up because of how repulsed i was by what an awful living thing th mother was. but the sequel made me sob even more.

starlight26:) said...
Such an inspiring book. It brought tears to my eyes.His mother's addiction to alchohol was a reason why she turned from caring mom to evil woman. It makes me think about all the  suffering in this world and this specific story. Severe tourture that caused one innocent child pain physically and emotionally. All this, happening in his very own "home"

starlight26:) replied...
This is a MUST READ biography!!!!!

toflyaway said...
This made me feel so bad inside, like the world was such a bad place. The things his mother put him through were so epically inhumane....