A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

chevy said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm:
this book shows you that most of us have a wonderful life compared to some strong children who get the bad end of the stick.

amzazinLily said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:49 am:
I LOVED this book. Very emotional!

MeganSeesStarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm:
I LOVE THIS BOOK. everytime i went to the bookstore i read a litttle bit and finished it, very touching

princess6 said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm:
Dave Pelzer has the third worse child abuse case in California history (the first two are dead), the book is very sad but you shoud read A Man Named Dave, it shows that yes he had an extremely difficult childhood but at the end of the day only your own actions define you as a person

cherrypop23forever said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm:
love this book so much it was so sad though but really good

Lizzy said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:38 am:
I am reading the book now and it shocked me to a remarkably large extent the hardships and difficulties David went through. His courage and determination is admirable.

Jojoo said...
A really well written review!I have read this book several times and I have cried each time.

emidawn said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:41 am:
this book is so interesting that i kind of want to read it, but after i hear that this poor child was beaten... i think i would'nt be able to finish it. 5 stars for the reviewer! :)

manga_maniac said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:35 am:
i had a friend who read this, and i picked it up while waiting in a bookstore one time. i only got through about 5 pages and almost cried.

pRiCkLy~GiRl replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 11:44 am :
Wow i almost cried 2 i really wanna read the ole thing

Senga123 said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 7:05 am:
Although i agree with you, it was a fantastic book, there are some people who say it may not been as gruesome as he made it sound. I agree with xAllegria for the most part. 

xAllegria said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 5:51 am:

First off I was also quite touched by the book, and appalled by all the abuse the kid went through. The fact that the story is true also makes it all the more shocking and makes the reader want to react to child abuse.

However, I don't think the book was meant to be a great literary work so much as a message to be strongly conveyed. Therefore I disagree that the book is a literary masterpiece, or extremely well written etc. It's easily visualized because the details are gruesome enough... (more »)

chey-chey said...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 8:48 am:
It is sad that the book is good and i am going to read it one more time i cried in it it has to stop

B@rb!3 said...
great book but a sad story

BooksRule replied...
Nov. 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm :
This story isnt real - the author has had many sessions in court and has been sued because most of the story was made up.

uhm, katiee(: replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm :
uhm, not to be rude but this is too a true story and i doubt what you think happened is true but i didn't in the end of the book it's the author telling the readers how he made it out and everything ! i just read the book so don't trry to prove me wrong and i doubt somebody would go to court for that because there are some wayy worse books out there! -thankyou!

Lou Lou # 21 replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 8:42 am :

uh..have u accutually read any information about dave pelzers storylife...im guessing not...so go back to reading ur little winnie the pooh books...once ur done try to grow up a little.

thank you :) 

Lilies said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:57 am:
This book was amazing.The most touching part was when Dave Peltzer started talking about his son.

shynazation said...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am:
I have read the book and i loved it(in a non-sadistic way).  Until now, I still cannot imagine how cruel his mother could be and that he managed to survive all this while.  He is definitely strong and a good role models for everyone.

Maehym This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm:
I did enjoy this review, and the book was very powerful in many ways. However, his principal and teachers are the ones that called the cops, so I don't think that you could say that they let the abuse slip by. Great review though. :)