A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

sarah4president said...
this is one of the best books i've ever read. good review but i think it needed a few more details.
k101hninxox replied...
No  frigging detail was needed !!
alexa!3 said...
this story is a great book it make many people cry. it is a boy that needs a better life
JusticeH said...
May 2, 2011 at 8:21 am
This is a very nice book. Sadly, this stuff happens. I'm glad he had the courage to write this.
naynay said...
May 1, 2011 at 8:26 am
how could anyone treat a child so cruel? his mother was sadistic. i wonder if i knew that something like this was happening, could i look the other way
jb_hater;btr_lover said...
I have not read A Child Called "It", and i never wanted to until I read this review. I never knew it was a true story about the author.
My_own_thoughts replied...
It's a great book, brought me to tears.
peace_love_beauty said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:33 am
I loved this book. It was so powerful and sad. In this book, Pelzer takes his readers into his world, where they, page by page, begin to feel and go through his horrible pain. This book made me cry, and stayed on my mind long after I'd read it. I've gone on to read the rest of the series' books, and I loved them. He has brought to light the horrible issue of child abuse.
khayie96 said...
Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:11 am
Dave im glad u rote this book it means so much to me. it mad me notice that there are people who need help.when i get oder im going to help people who have been in your situation and trying to call for help. thanks Dave Pelzer
Taneei said...
Your reiview was exemplary. It not only establishes a voice, but a tone as well. It gives graphic and vivid images of the trials and tribulations faced by thr persona. Additionally, it planted  the seeds of sympathy in my mind and opened my mind to a myriad of other things. There is no doubt in my mind that I will definitely be reading this book.
VKarcich said...
i have read this book,  and it is VERY sad and emotional. I would suggest it to many others, this review discribes this book very well. the review is wonderful :)
jhkghtfhtyu said...
this book sounds great i think i will read it
desmiree said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

That sounds very intersesting and I wanna read it because it is hard for a person to tell about their abuse.

chevy said...
this book shows you that most of us have a wonderful life compared to some strong children who get the bad end of the stick.
amzazinLily said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:49 am
I LOVED this book. Very emotional!
MeganSeesStars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I LOVE THIS BOOK. everytime i went to the bookstore i read a litttle bit and finished it, very touching
princess6 said...
Dave Pelzer has the third worse child abuse case in California history (the first two are dead), the book is very sad but you shoud read A Man Named Dave, it shows that yes he had an extremely difficult childhood but at the end of the day only your own actions define you as a person
cherrypop23forever said...
love this book so much it was so sad though but really good
Lizzy said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:38 am
I am reading the book now and it shocked me to a remarkably large extent the hardships and difficulties David went through. His courage and determination is admirable.
Jojoo said...
A really well written review!I have read this book several times and I have cried each time.
emidawn said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:41 am
this book is so interesting that i kind of want to read it, but after i hear that this poor child was beaten... i think i would'nt be able to finish it. 5 stars for the reviewer! :)