A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

star said...

wow...i mean who every thought that a mother can do that to her own child for no reason at all.

I was shock when i read this and i root for him for diding so strong, brave and bring able to find happyness and not leting it control his life

Jessss said...
Good review, I agree completely.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The book isn't well-written. I get the feeling that people feel obligated to call it "well-written" because of its sensitive subject matter. It's basically one long account of gruesome torture that his mother put him through, not particularly well-written, no plot, just gripping because of the sheer atrocities he suffered.

I feel like people need to differentiate between well-written and "can't stop reading because it's so gruesome" (much like not being able to look away from a terribl... (more »)

Ladywarrior123 said...
I read this book when I was about ten. I loved it. Amazing story that is amazingly written.

Whittney said...
I checked this book out when I read the back and saw that it was about child abuse, but at that time I didn't know it was really. I couldn't put this book down even though I was cryin because his mother was completely horrible to him. I would hate to be called it by my mom and would hate to feel like an outcast. I am hopin to see an end to child abuse (well any ind of abuse) in the future. I read this the complete series and cried during them all.

midniteprowl said...

cool. im always on the lookout for good books. and do u think its mature enough fr 16-yr olds?

and please  will you chck out my stuff? thank you mucho

jessicaah replied...
It is intended for a mature audience but I read it when I was ten or eleven and I still enjoyed it. It is a good book and you should really give it a try! :)

amigasr4evr replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:51 am
ok i will. thx :)

freeflow23 said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:23 am
Nice review. It makes me want to read this book.

Ellimee Pawn said...
Great reflecting... A Child called 'It' really is one of the best books when it comes to sorrow and understanding the difficulty of living alone/

my lyf said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:04 am
This is such a gr8 bk...the determination, hope and the need to live jst inspires me lyk hell. Wht his mom did 2 him was horrible, but the way he survived it is perhaps a wonder

k101hninxox said...
Le me get this straight about this book. Its awesome. Its intresting & of course sad. I was really crying on the last part of the chapter. No, not the flashback part but the last page. How sad, Dave's faher left him & lied. I would have kill myself than be that woman's slave !

sarah4president said...
this is one of the best books i've ever read. good review but i think it needed a few more details.

k101hninxox replied...
No  frigging detail was needed !!

alexa!3 said...
this story is a great book it make many people cry. it is a boy that needs a better life

JusticeH said...
May 2, 2011 at 8:21 am
This is a very nice book. Sadly, this stuff happens. I'm glad he had the courage to write this.

naynay said...
May 1, 2011 at 8:26 am
how could anyone treat a child so cruel? his mother was sadistic. i wonder if i knew that something like this was happening, could i look the other way

jb_hater;btr_lover said...
I have not read A Child Called "It", and i never wanted to until I read this review. I never knew it was a true story about the author.

My_own_thoughts replied...
It's a great book, brought me to tears.

peace_love_beauty said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:33 am
I loved this book. It was so powerful and sad. In this book, Pelzer takes his readers into his world, where they, page by page, begin to feel and go through his horrible pain. This book made me cry, and stayed on my mind long after I'd read it. I've gone on to read the rest of the series' books, and I loved them. He has brought to light the horrible issue of child abuse.