A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

midniteprowl said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm:

cool. im always on the lookout for good books. and do u think its mature enough fr 16-yr olds?

and please  will you chck out my stuff? thank you mucho

jessicaah replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm :
It is intended for a mature audience but I read it when I was ten or eleven and I still enjoyed it. It is a good book and you should really give it a try! :)

amigasr4evr replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:51 am :
ok i will. thx :)

freeflow23 said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:23 am:
Nice review. It makes me want to read this book.

Ellimee Pawn said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm:
Great reflecting... A Child called 'It' really is one of the best books when it comes to sorrow and understanding the difficulty of living alone/

my lyf said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:04 am:
This is such a gr8 bk...the determination, hope and the need to live jst inspires me lyk hell. Wht his mom did 2 him was horrible, but the way he survived it is perhaps a wonder

k101hninxox said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm:
Le me get this straight about this book. Its awesome. Its intresting & of course sad. I was really crying on the last part of the chapter. No, not the flashback part but the last page. How sad, Dave's faher left him & lied. I would have kill myself than be that woman's slave !

sarah4president said...
May 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm:
this is one of the best books i've ever read. good review but i think it needed a few more details.

k101hninxox replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 9:44 pm :
No  frigging detail was needed !!

alexa!3 said...
May 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm:
this story is a great book it make many people cry. it is a boy that needs a better life

JusticeH said...
May 2, 2011 at 8:21 am:
This is a very nice book. Sadly, this stuff happens. I'm glad he had the courage to write this.

naynay said...
May 1, 2011 at 8:26 am:
how could anyone treat a child so cruel? his mother was sadistic. i wonder if i knew that something like this was happening, could i look the other way

jb_hater;btr_lover said...
I have not read A Child Called "It", and i never wanted to until I read this review. I never knew it was a true story about the author.

My_own_thoughts replied...
May 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm :
It's a great book, brought me to tears.

peace_love_beauty said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:33 am:
I loved this book. It was so powerful and sad. In this book, Pelzer takes his readers into his world, where they, page by page, begin to feel and go through his horrible pain. This book made me cry, and stayed on my mind long after I'd read it. I've gone on to read the rest of the series' books, and I loved them. He has brought to light the horrible issue of child abuse.

khayie96 said...
Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:11 am:
Dave im glad u rote this book it means so much to me. it mad me notice that there are people who need help.when i get oder im going to help people who have been in your situation and trying to call for help. thanks Dave Pelzer

Taneei said...
Your reiview was exemplary. It not only establishes a voice, but a tone as well. It gives graphic and vivid images of the trials and tribulations faced by thr persona. Additionally, it planted  the seeds of sympathy in my mind and opened my mind to a myriad of other things. There is no doubt in my mind that I will definitely be reading this book.

VKarcich said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm:
i have read this book,  and it is VERY sad and emotional. I would suggest it to many others, this review discribes this book very well. the review is wonderful :)

jhkghtfhtyu said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm:
this book sounds great i think i will read it

desmiree said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:59 am:

That sounds very intersesting and I wanna read it because it is hard for a person to tell about their abuse.