Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald

Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald is a suspenseful book about a tragic accident that set off a chain of events that would change the small town of Briarwood forever. Michael Mackenzie fired off his Winchester Rifle on July 4th, showing it off to his best friends. Little did he know that he had taken the life of a man, and this act would create horrible repercussions.

There are 2 main characters within this book; Michael Mackenzie, the accidental killer and Jenna Ward, the daughter of the deceased father. After Michael finds out about the event, his best friend Joe, tells him to keep it covert because he could be imprisoned for it. But throughout the book Michael is plagued by guilt from his conscience as more and more people are becoming involved and getting hurt. During the course of the book Michael is going through a lot of emotional struggle, and is thinking on deeper and entirely new levels.

Meanwhile Jenna is just beleaguered with thoughts of “what if” she had done something different he wouldn't have been killed, and dealing with the “innocent's guilt”. At first she had wanted revenge for whoever did this, so she could fill the emptiness inside her, but later realized that she just wanted it to end. Jenna realized she had to come to terms with herself before she could truly accept her father's death.

The death of her father mixes with her personal life when she begins to have panic attacks around her boyfriend. Michael's personal life becomes complicated as he can not see a definite right or wrong answer, for the word is not black and white, it is gray. Both Jenna and Michael's private lives turn in to turmoil with misunderstanding, break ups, new friends and broken trust. All of this mixed in with the normal anxiety of a teenager.

A truly great book filled with power, and an emotional thriller .This is a must read for all genres of readers, for it is filled with suspense, fast paced , and an intricate plot terrifyingly truthful of how one event can change a life, or the lives of many in one foul stroke.

cookie1145 said...
Nov. 15 at 12:52 pm:
this book is my favorite and i like when the cops knows that the gun bullet they found is micheal

ford#54 said...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 8:29 am:
because he felt guilty lo  

S.Aj said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm:
I actually liked the ending... keeps u guessing...suspense, kind of (U can rewrite ur own ending). Although, I think Jenna'll 4give Mike though it'll be hard at first (she'll probably yell n scream). I also think it was Joe who fired the shot that killed Charlie since there was a part in the book that indicated that Joe once took the rifle without Michael's knowledge.

lindsey said...
 This  story was about  a boy named Michael   who  got a winchester  for his birthday . He shot it in the air  . The bullet came  down  and  hit a   Mr. ward    . So he died

diamond5 said...
swallowing stones was about a boy who received a rifle for his birthday. killed a boy named charlie ward. he never told anybody about it except Joe. it also was about how jenna kept blaming herself for her dad's death. i thought that the book was ok. i also thught that the ending was so bogus.   

namesha<3fullilove said...
There are 2 main characters within this book; Michael Mackenzie, the accidental killer and Jenna Ward, the daughter of the deceased father. After Michael finds out about the event, his best friend Joe, tells him to keep it covert because he could be imprisoned for it. But throughout the book Michael is plagued by guilt from his conscience as more and more people are becoming involved and getting hurt.

joyce mcdonald replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm :
girl yu should get an a for this cuz i copy and pasted you and won a oscar thatnks namesha thsi is joyce

jazz said...
no dey need 2 finish it off

jazz said...
kno need 4 all dat but that did make me mad doe

diamond5 said...
i think that swallowing stones was a ok book

alex222 replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm :
it was until the end

Brandeny said...
It’s about a boy name Michael and he had birthday party. Then his granddaddy gave him a gun and shot the gun into the forest and shot Charlie Ward. Next Michael buried the gun and did not tell anyone.  Last he went finally told Jenna he kill Charlie Ward. The book was good but at the end it was boring. The book was kind of funny. My favorite person in the book is Joe because he is kind of crazy and funny at the same time.

lexisJ said...
Swallowing stones was okay. The only thing  I didn’t like about the book was the ending it was so irritating to me. I threw the book on floor when I found out when they didn’t have a ending. UGH! The book had its boring moments and its interesting moments. Jenna part was boring but micheals part was really interesting to me.i think micheal grandpa shouldn’t have gave him the shot gun anyways. It was a lot of blame going on in this story. So basically in the book micheal wa... (more »)

Cheyenne Alexus :) replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm :
Good Statement !!!!!

lexisJ replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm :
ummm.....okae!

Mrs. Martinez replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm :
I agree that the book is up and down! Some parts are better than others. Nice review Alexis!

Alex222 said...
This book is about two main characters Michael and Jenna. It was Michael’s birthday and his grandfather gave him a Winchester rifle for his 17th birthday. He shot his rifle and accidently hit Jenna’s father Charlie Ward. And in the end Michael is watching Jenna sleeping in the ghost tree waiting for her to wake up and tell her he killed her father. I like this book because it uses great dialog. Another reason is that it has two different perspectives in the story. One reason I didn&r... (more »)

Brandeny replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm :
good statement

lexisJ replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm :
aw! yawn lolz

Cheyenne Alexus :) said...
I think swallowinq stones was a good book don’t get me wrong but the ending was just terrible and they need to get in detail of what happen  did he get caught or not or did joe get caught as well I truly want To Know  did he never told Jenna but Jenna part was A little boring and micheal part was Interesteing I Like It Alot But Swallowing Stones Was About this boy name micheal and his friend joe and this girl name jenna. micheal shot jenna daddy when he was fixing the roof but... (more »)